We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helen Trip Report (Part 1)

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
229 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Helen Trip Report (Part 1)

So we arrived in Helen Sunday around 3:00 and it was beautiful. The traffic was really heavy coming in and going out of town, it was crazy, you can tell Oktoberfest was still going strong. We are currently staying with Blue Ridge Cabins (we will be here until Friday), I have to say this company is WONDERFUL! The chalet is just beautiful, we were very impressed, no problems whatsoever!

We unpacked and headed to all places...Walmart in Cleveland (took maybe 15-20 minutes). This gave us a chance to look at the scenery too. We hurried back to jump in the hot tub and relax. Oh, and the beds are amazingly comfortable at this chalet, I was in heaven!

Monday morning we headed back to Walmart for some things we forgot to get and then did some shopping around downtown Helen. The crowds had cleared out, we were told they are a weekend event there. We took a carraige tour which took us around the block. It was like $7 a person, but it was a nice little peaceful ride. Drove over to West Family Restaurant to eat at thei buffet. It was alot better than we remembered it to be last year. We retired to the hot tub and played cards the rest of the night.

Tuesday it rained all day so we kept a fire going and stayed at the chalet all day. The honest truth was our driveway was extremely steep, it was no problem to my hubby because we have an SUV with new tires but it freaked me out alot. There was no way he was getting me up or down the drive in the rain.

Wednesday (today) we slept in and woke up to another beautiful day, I spent a good 20 minutes trying to coax a pretty white cat to let me pet her that was hanging around our back deck, but no wild animals have been seen yet. We hit up the Habersham Winery for free wine tasting and a couple of bottles of local stuff, shopped a little at the Old Sautee store for Farmers cheese and jams and jellies, and shopped at a few antique stores. We did find a huge antique store on the way to Cleveland. They called it a thrift store but the thrift store was in the back of it. This store was huge, I could have looke around in there all day! We ate at Jordano's Pizza, we had the stromboli's and they were amazing. Our waitress was so great too.

We're taking the Blue Ridge train ride tomorrow so I will post more on that later.

Thought someone may like to hear what you can do in Helen.

1. Re: Helen Trip Report (Part 1)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, April 27, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Helen