We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

Chattanooga Tn.
1 post
Save Topic
The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

This is someone that has delivered food for 13 years. Oscar & Edna Purchased nothing but the best Beef & Pork availible ! They offer the best BBQ, Pork & Beef ribs in the south. They developed there own BBQ sauce & there own style of smoking there meat. I have delivered to resturants throughout the south & they serve only the best, or it dosen't get served!!! Thats a promise, as I have eaten it all, from Richmond,Va To the Blue Ridge Mtns. of Ellijay. Thank you Oscar for your music & the Pig Hall Of Fame! Once you visit Pooles it will leave an impact in you & your childrens hearts forever.. The Blue Ridge Pkwy. & the Zell Miller Parkway will leave a mark in your heart that you will never forget. Its the Smokey Mtns. without all the commercializiam.. Eat & enjoy... Ramprunner

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

i think this place is one of the most over rated, over hyped bbq joints in the entire state. the bbq is just not that good. the 'show', however, is all that they have going for them. col. poole dressed up in his yellow uncle sam costume singing adn playing hte piano with his pig mobile parked outside in front of a hill covered with wooden $3.00 pigs are all designed to lure the customer into a place that serves less than stellar food, in miserly portions, at trumped up prices. it may be the worst pork ever rivaling only sonny's for last place. i'd sooner eat a live chicken than ever walk through the door again.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

I agree, as we werent impressed either, although the late Senator Paul Coverdell was eating there the last time we stopped in, so its been awhile. But BBQ is a truly unique food, unlike any other, in that a restaurant that is consider the best by many, is also considered the worst by many. I think the best BBQ is Hudson's in Douglasville GA. But it has more of a vinegar sauce, so many would disagree with me.

Ellijay, Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

I agree that Poole's is highly over rated. There's a new place just off the square on North Main - Wolf Creek Canyon BBQ that has the best brunswick stew ever. Also, try Davis Round Table just of 515 on 108 near Jasper.

Talking Rock,Ga
Level Contributor
29 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

I've eaten there several times, and each time it was dissappointing. I will go to Jasper, and eat at Bubba Q, off Hwy 53 west, any time before driving here and eating again. Bubba Q recently placed 3rd. in the Jack Daniels National BBQ competition.

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
465 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

I believe we've had this discussion before most likely on the Blue Ridge forum - but BBQ always is a fun topic! I like Poole's - I don't think it's the greatest but I prefer it over The Pink Pig. Now that we have Wolf Creek I go there instead of any of the others.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

Bud Holloway, who ran the Pink Pig for many mnay years passed away yesterday. He was a master bbq pit master, who's likes will be sorely missed and impossible to replace. His grand daughter Sam has taken over the opperation of the restaurant. My sincere condolances to Sam and the family.

7. Re: The Best BBQ in the South/Ramprunner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 02, 2009