We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Davis House closed?

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
447 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Davis House closed?

BBQ man, you may know what's going on. I was walking in historic Ellijay yesterday and there was a sign in the Davis House Restaurant window that said "coming soon------ BBQ" (Can't remember the name of the BBQ company.

Does anyone know if Davis House is closed or just moved?

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Davis House closed?

sorry to learn of this. as a family business the davis house has been open for quite a while now. let's just hope that the same freindly smiling faces will be there turning out delicious bbq.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Davis House closed?

they are open for breakfast today, and show no signs of closing. whew!!!! that was a close call.

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
447 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Davis House closed?

Hey BBQ man, did they say they were just changing their menu? Or moving?

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
447 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Davis House closed?

This is the scoop.

Davis House has moved to Industrial Blvd. in the shopping center near Gold's Gym.

Wolf Creek Canyon is now occupying the former Davis House Location.

I went to Wolf Creek yesterday (Wednesday) and they were very busy. I thought the BBQ was good. Sauces are of the vinegar variety, which is not my favorite however the "sweet vinegar" sauce had a nice balance to it. Guests at the teble next to me tried the brunswick stew and said it was good, but needed lima beans. (I could go the rest of my life without eating a lima bean, so that would have been a plus in my book!)The locals really seem to like it and I would definately go back.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Davis House closed?

i agree, lima beans in brunswick stew oughta be illegal. we'll try the bbq next visit though, adn glad to know the davis house has moved rather than closing. can you give me more info on the new davis house location please!

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
447 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Davis House closed?

There is a strip center on the north side on Industrial Blvd. (aka 282/76) in between Old Hwy 5 and Hwy 515. In it you will see a car dealer, gold's Gym, Faith/Hope/Charity store. From what I understand Davis House is in there.

I went to the BBQ place again yesterday, and tried their brunswick stew. I found it very meaty.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Davis House closed?

the new location of the davis house was easily found by us saturday morning. breakfast was as delicious as in the former location, warm friendly serice, moderate prices, and ample servings. the new location has plenty of parking, easy to get into and out of, and features a clean, new interior with comfortable booths and a better serving line. though only on one level now the space is much more accomodating, larger, and less crowded than the old location. still the same great blueberry pancakes!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Davis House closed?

the davis house continues to amaze us with just how simple yet delightful a breakfast they can serve. pancakes, tasty made to order eggs, grits and tasty bacon and country ham. we are so happy nothing has changed in either the menu, the cooking or the smiling faces serving up a bodacious breakfast. now on to wolf creek canyon bbq...they encourse folks to come see us and have a howl of a time. catchy, but you've got to have something to back it up. first off they need a menu rather than a one sheet of paper taped to the counter where we guessed correctly we'd have to wait until someone would take our order. all in all not an unusual thing, so, so far so good we figured we ordered a beef brisket sammywich with a side of brunswick stew and mrs. bbq had a sliced tenderloin sammywich with beans on the side. the brisket was delicious, seasoned just rich and smoked to a delicious tenderness. the stew was straight out fo the can, and not good at all. bread on both sammywiches was not warmed or fooled around with any more than a hand reaching inside a colonial bread sack. the beans were a little better than the stew, but not much really, as it appeared someone had added some brown sugar to a can, the beans still graded out two miles ahead of the stew. the pork tenderloin was dry, tough, flavorless, an unappealing. she did not even finish half of it. the pickles were cold, flavorful and stout. the beef brisket and pickles were the only thing i tasted that would warrant revisiting.

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
447 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Davis House closed?

Darn, my apologies Mr. & Mrs. Q! I really like that place. Ive never made brunswick stew so I can honestly say that I wouldn't be able to tell canned or not. I'm sorry I led you astray!

10. Re: Davis House closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 04, 2009