We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

Virginia
1 post
Save Topic
I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

If anyone would be so kind as to put pictures or info about other things in Dalton than just eating and sleeping it would be so appreciated. If you've never been to Dalton and you're trying to get a visual of the place, there are no pictures of anything to see at all in Dalton. I searched the site for pictures and it kept coming up with zero pictures for Dalton. Just an idea from someone who has never been but may be coming and would love to know what it looks like a bit.

Thanks so much.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

What do you want to know? Dalton is not a tourist destination. It is the capital of the world for the carpet industry. I wouldn't recommend it for tourists to target for their vacation.

It someone wants to go to a picturesque place I recommend Chattanooga which would be about 30 minutes from Dalton..

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

Secondchances

I should have said the best thing a person could do is come to Dalton and buy carpet or a wood floor for their home. The savings could pay for the trip. (You can have the carpet shipped home, probably for what the sales tax would have cost you if you are from out-of-state.) Otherwise, Dalton has all the regular chain restaurants and strip mall type things. There is an outlet mall at the Walnut Avenue exit.

I bought a beautiful wood floor for my home for $1.99 a square foot from Shaw. I haven't shopped carpet lately but we used to get a good quality carpet for around $7 a square yard.

Michael's Carpet in Calhoun is a great place to find a bargain but good quality carpet.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

there is a large statue of confederate general joseph e. johnston on hamilton st. downtown that is worth seeing. the crown gardens and archives located in the old executive offices of the crown cotton mills is worth a visit to get a glimpse of local history. in near by spring place is the vann house, home of indian planter joseph vann. it is a real mansion. fort mountain state park lies to the east, a scant 12 miles away. as is grassy mountain it's cohutta sister. both have beautiful lakes atop them and miles of paths and vistas to explore. thornton ave. has many historic home of architectural note. to the west the road leading to the top of mount sini offeres a beautiful panoramic view of the area. many historical markers dot the area, adn you can trace the eventual march to the sea for it's dalton roots. dug gap mountain still has earth works visible and you can see the entrenchements at buzzards roost north of town. the dalton little theater produces top notch entertainment. and the last of the art decco theaters has been refurbished in downtown, the wink theater.

Roswell, GA
Level Contributor
385 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

hey bbqman- You always seem to know so much about the areas in and around Atlanta. Thanks for all your information. I hope you enjoyed St. Simmons as much as we did. The weather was wonderful the first week of January.

I could use your advise. My daughter's girl scout troop (8 girls from 10 to 12 years old) looking for a 2 - 3 night trip somewhere. Disney is a bit over the budget (income from cookie sales is limited). Any suggestions? We were schedule to go snowtubing last weekend but the weather was too warm to make snow. Thanks for your help.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

blue ridge is always nice. plenty to see and do.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

you can also visit fort hill, site of the confederate victory over their northern aggressors in the famous 1864 snow ball fight.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

now that the s curve superettte is gone you can always ride up atop mt. sini and look out at the entire city below in the valley. even better at night.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

or you can play frisbee golf in west hill cemetary. it's a par 3 to the general and you can go off the tee for a par 3 across the road. great fun in a small town. ask norris or bass.

Chattanooga
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

There's a putt putt golf course here now, Dalton Falls, on Airport Rd

looks like fun.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I know there's more to do in Dalton than Eat and Sleep

just north of dalton, out past cohutta, right smack dab on the tennessee state line is a little known historic spot at red clay. it was the site of the cherokee counsil grounds just prior to the trail of tears. very historic, and legends abound.

Get answers to your questions about Dalton