We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

Sarasota, Florida...
2 posts
Save Topic
Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

Does anyone know how to connect with the owners of this place? We went 15 years ago. It was owned by a Miami lawyer and a man across the mainland ran a very small pontoon-type boat to shuttle horses across. I have searched all over to find how to make a connection or find out if this place is still for rent but cannot find anything other than the main hotel and water access by the Park service. Help?

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

Are you sure you are inquiring about Cumberland Island? A Pink House? A Miami Lawyer? Towing horses across on a boat? I have a feeling you are misinformed about Cumberland Island. Yikes!

Sarasota, Florida...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

!5 years ago we took 2 horses to what was referred to as the Pink Cottage/house, which was the original carpenter's quarters for the Plum Orchard estate (then owned by the park service and had a ranger living in small quarters downstairs.) A caretaker lived on site and helped with anything you needed. The compound, there were two other houses, one restored as the owners residence, was privately owned (set up like a life estate.) There were 4 or 5 stalls below the caretaker's quarters and lots of tack/feed room. We came by small boat, rigged with styrofoam pontoons in the front and landed at the dock/boat ramp at Plum Orchard. It was a most unique week. We rode the entire island and beach, visiting the little church in the north end where John Kennedy Jr was married. Looks like this is a thing of the past, judging by your reaction. Guess you just had to be there. I'm sorry it's no longer available. An unbelievable horse riding experience and we have the pictures to prove it.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

I'm sorry if I offended you, but 5 years ago, I didn't think there was anything like that on the Island. If you meant 15 years ago, that could be quite different. I meant no harm. It just surprised me as it's so different now. Perhaps someone will come along with an older memory. Good luck, but I don't think you will find that experience now as everything is run by the Park Service and Greyfield.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
245 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

If The Greyfield or Park Service could not help, it is probably not for rent anymore. The PS has restored Plum Orchard.

If I was to speculate, I would say the "lease rights" to the property expired and reverted back to the PS.

5. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, April 07, 2013
Cleveland, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

Jan...email me skmw@windstream.net. I will give you some info on CI. Also my son just moved to Sarasota.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

I am sorry I was not informed about land ownership on Cumberland Island. From what I now understand, the National Park Service owns about 85% of the Island.. There are a limited number of private owners. I am staying on Cumberland Island next month and can't wait to experience it's natural wonders. It's a trully special space, but I've only seen it from the water. Now I get to stay there. Can't wait. I'll report back in case anyone's interested.

8. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, April 07, 2013
Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
701 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

We are staying at the Inn

10. Re: Pink house, cumberland island, georgia

Removed on: 12:05 pm, April 30, 2013