We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about beach on island

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Topic
Question about beach on island

I'm in the (very!) early planning stages for our June 2011 Georgia vacation. We'd like to take a day trip to Cumberland Island, using the ferry. We'd probably get off at the stop at Dungerness Ruins, since we'd want to see those. Where is the nearest beach from the ruins? On the map of the island, it looks like you can just walk east from the ruins, and you'll hit a beach, right? Or would we have to bike/walk to Sea Camp and access the beach from there?

Thanks!

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about beach on island

You are right. For a nice day outing, get off the ferry at the ruins and explore that area; then walk east to the beach and north to Sea Camp and then to the Sea Camp ferry dock. There is an interesting boardwalk through some of the way over to the beach from the ruins into Sea Camp. If you still have time, you might rent bikes to explore the roadway.

You might enjoy the mystery novel "Endangered Species" by Nevada Barr set on CI if you haven't read it.

Fernandina Beach...
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about beach on island

VCV is right. Just bring plenty of bug spray. If you want bikes it would be best to get off at Sea Camp, that's where they rent them. For a day outing where your only staying on the south end of the island you really don't need bikes, but you can outrun the bugs a lot easier on a bike than foot:)

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about beach on island

I would suggest not renting bicycles on island for a day trip. You will only be able to ride around Sea Camp down to Dungeness Area. We rented them once and had hoped to ride north on island toward the Plum Orchard area, etc, but the sand is too soft and heavy along the island road. And you are not supposed to ride the bicycles on the beach. You might be able to push bikes up that way through the sand, we gave up after about 1/4 mile or so.

For a day trip, we typically get off at Dungeness dock, explore the ruins area and then walk on down to the beach. You can walk some ways north if desired, but it is farther to walk than it appears on the map, especially in June when it can be very hot. Really nothing much to see up toward Sea Camp anyway, unless you get way on up to the north end of the island. And the ferry picks up earlier at Sea Camp dock than Dungeness so you have earlier deadline to be there if you walk up from Dungeness.

The first time we ever went was in June around my birthday and it was more than enough to see Dungeness and spend some time of beach. Few facilities on island, so hard to get sand off you if you swim, which I did that time and paid the price. And btw, don't miss the ferry or you stay on island or pay big $ for private ride back, if you can get one. We left something on beach the first time we went and I had to run back over very hot dunes and then back to the ferry with wet, sandy suit (it dried, but not before it abraded my thigh skin pretty badly).

We have also had good luck seeing the ponies at the Dungeness dock. They used to hang out near the picnic area at dock area. Think twice before offering them anything to eat until you are finished eating and ready to walk on. I was there once when nearby couple gave one a bit of apple and he was "insistent" they continue to share as they ate their picnic. It was a good show for us though; horses did not even seem to notice us and we were eating too.

Take the marsh path to beach. It is pretty walk. Sort of at end of Dungeness back yards. I am pretty sure I posted something once about the history of island and Dungeness, so if you want check my name length and you can probably find more info I have droned on about. Really interesting history of island.

Don't forget sunscreen. I don't recall insects being too bad that June we went, but would bring bug repellent as suggested already too.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about beach on island

take lots of sunscreen, bug spray and water ... you are going to love this special beautiful place ... enjoy

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about beach on island

Part of my earlier post got mangled as I was using an unfamiliar computer. I really enjoyed walking from the ruins over the boardwalk and up the beach to Sea Camp--I agree that you can spend the day at the ruins, but if you enjoy walking along the beach and wading in the surf, it's a nice walk. What got omitted from my first post due to computer mysterious ways was a caution that if you do walk up the beach, be alert to the post that marks the entrance to Sea Camp; the post is set back toward the edge of the dunes and might be easy to miss if not looking for it. There is a nice porch with rockers and a good view of the waterway at the ranger station at Sea Camp, where you can catch the ferry back to St. Mary's. I've not rented bikes, but last year the ranger advised against it due to the sand mentioned in a previous post. And, yes, lots and lots of bug spray; buzz-off shirts, hats, or pants help too. Ticks are bad on the island.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about beach on island

I'm just back from several days on CI. This week there were lots of people with rental bikes who rode 4-6 miles north of Sea Camp on the road with no problem. I didn't rent a bike but walked the road as far as the Stafford Beach cutoff, and the sand wasn't a problem in that area (groups of bikers passed me and went much farther). The ease of biking north of Sea Camp depends on the condition of the road at any one time; they will advise against biking at the ranger station if the sand will be a problem. Not many bugs this week, but that will probably change by summer; if so, you can't have too much repellant. Best to admire the horses from a distance: the rangers tell of a man whose head was nearly bitten off a couple of years ago. There is a very good ranger talk at Dungeoness after the first ferry arrival in the morning and a ranger program (about 30 min.) at Sea Camp just before the final ferry departure in the afternoon--the program changes daily.

7. Re: Question about beach on island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:32 am, October 22, 2010