We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyfield Inn

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Greyfield Inn

We are considering a honeymoon trip to the Cumberland Island area. We would definitely go to the island for a day to explore, regardless of where we are staying. There is some availability at the Greyfield Inn. It's supposed to be fabulous, but really, $400 or $500 a night for two nights??? We would have a shared bath, too. This is seeming not worth it to me, but please let me know your thoughts. We're social, but we are usually hotel/resort people, not B&B, and I am not sure how we feel about lots of mingling w/ other guests AND a shared bath at a super high price.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyfield Inn

B&B type accomodations are not for everyone. I know that I would not want to stay at one. I simply don't want to be cheerful in the mornings.

Of course, The Greyfield is a one of a kind experience. Whether or not it's worth it would depend on you. I'm with you, I sure don't want to share a bath even with people that can afford those prices. Who washes out the tub between occupants? I'll share with my husband, and kids, but no one else, thank you very much!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyfield Inn

you might also try or at least look into lodging on little st. simmons island. similar...but not the same. a shared bath on your honeymoon? don't expect to continue celebrating too long!

atlanta, georgia
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greyfield Inn

We went to the Greyfield and did not have to share a bath. If you stay in one of the cottages and not in the main house you will not have to share a bath. The Dugeness Suite also has it's own bath and some of the larger suites.

As far as mingling with the other guests it's really only at meals when you will see anyone else. Dinner has more people because the Inn will ferry peolple over just for dinner. If you go let them know of any dietary request or restrictions before you go.

When will you honeymoon? We went for our 10th anniversary in Dec. and except for two other couples we were the only ones at The Greyfield. We felt we had the island and the Inn to ourselves.

In my opinion, it's worth the money. Everything is included in your rate. Meals, activities, kayak, tours, etc......

atlanta, georgia
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyfield Inn

If you honeymoon in August you will have The Greyfield to yourself. August is not considered high time for the Inn. Too hot for the society people...

SAVANNAH, GA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Greyfield Inn

We just celebrated our 30th anniversary at Greyfiedld Inn. It was great!! We had never done the B&B but it was a lot of fun. The place is great and we stayed in the Stafford Suite on the top floor with private bath and plenty of space. The staff at the Inn are exceptional. You can request a private table for dinner if you ask ahead but you really miss out on meeting some interesting people. Also breakfast can be either with everyone (and the food was great) or you can go with the continental (cereal, muffins, coffee, etc) and eat in your room or on the great front porch. The island and beach are unbelievable and the inn provides bikes or kayaks. Your stay also includes a free tour of the island with a naturalist. Everything is included in the price of your room except alcoholic drinks. You really should give it a try. We went in September and the weather was wonderful. Hope you give it a try!

CE from Savannah

atlanta, georgia
Destination Expert
for Cumberland Island
Level Contributor
241 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greyfield Inn

Glad you loved as much as we did! We will be returning to Cumberland in October but we will be camping. I tried to convince my son to stay at the Inn but he wanted to camp!

7. Re: Greyfield Inn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, September 09, 2009