We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

I'm coming from Australia and really want to visit Covington, but I don't have a drivers licence so can't rent a car... is there a train/bus to Covington from Atlanta airport? I only have 1 night spare so really want to know the quickest and best way to get there :)

Thanks!!!

56 replies to this topic
atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

No trains or transit, Marta will get you to Lithonia, but that is as far as it goes. Your best option is to rent a car so that you can see Covington, Madison, and Social Circle in one visit. Next best option is to take a taxi from the airport. If you decide to drive or take a taxi, Take I-20 East to the Alcovy Road exit. Turn Right and follow that road to the Square. Most of the antebellum homes are on Floyd Street. There are tour busses that come through from time to time, you might want to google that or contact the Chamber of Commerce to see where they originate from.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

thanks heaps for your help :o) its a shame we cant rent a car so i guess taxi is the best option, any idea how much that would set us back? or is it better to get the train to the station you mentioned and grab a taxi from there?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

The Train is not an option, as its furtherest east station is S. Indian Creek, which is nowhere near Lithonia. You would have to take a bus to Lithonia, then try for a cab company in Lithonia or Conyers to come pick you up take you to Covington, and then return you to the bus stop. The cab from the airport to Covington is probably the safest and less hassle but will be the most expensive. A typical cab ride to downtown Atlanta from the airport is over $30.00, so Covington is probably double that.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

ok awesome, cab sounds like the best deal, thanks again for ur help :o)

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,109 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason you want to visit Covington?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

We are also heading to covington in march 2011 can you let us know how you went ? - We are from Australia also.

Thx Jillama

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

stevedec: Covington is a well-known tourist attraction for two main reasons (although I am sure there are more).

1. Covington's antebellum homes were not burned during Sherman's march, so many tour bus companies come through Covington for that tour.

2. It is that background for many tv shows and movies. I cant remember them all, but the list includes: In the Heat of the Night, Dukes of Hazzard, Remember the Titans, the most recent Rob Zombie Halloween Movie, the current vampire series on TV that is all the rage, and the remake of Footloose.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,679 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

A taxi to Covington is going to be far more expensive that miketeresa suggested - a metered fare from midtown would be about $110 each way. From the airport, it's $130 each way. That's assuming you find a taxi driver willing to take you that far. At that price, you should look into just hiring a car service for half a day. If you do that, consider extending the trip to have lunch at the Blue Willow Inn in Social Circle.

I hope your expectations about Covington aren't too high. It is a fairly charming small town, but unless you plan to tour some of the homes a couple of hours there, including a meal, is plenty. For a small town square feel, you might just take MARTA and CCT (Cobb Community Transit) to downtown Marietta, which is a quicker and far cheaper undertaking.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

Thxs-

Miketeresa, JAtlanta & Stevedec info much appreciated- we'll organise a car in Atlanta, try and orientate ourselves driving on the right hand side of the road after our long flight from Australia. I'm surprised there is no airport ?

cheers Jillama.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,679 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?

Do you mean you're surprised there's no airport in Covington? If so, then you really have the wrong impression of Covington. It's just a very small town 35 miles from downtown Atlanta.

Reply to: What's the best way to get to Covington, GA?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Covington
More Covington Topics