We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is there anything fun to do here?????

minnesota
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
is there anything fun to do here?????

We are going back to Columbus to visit our son for the weekend and are at a loss of how to spend our time. We saw the lame space museum (most of the interactive stuff didn't even work- the laser light show was good). Besides shopping at the mall and seeing movies (we did that last time!) what else is there to do??? Any place close ( a day's drive) without going all the way to Atlanta for some fun for a 23 yr old guy? We don't want to walk around and just look at old buildings....

atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

Callawy Gardens (swimming, etc)

Warm Springs (FDR's Little White House)

FDR Park -- hiking, picnics

Providence Canyon - hiking, scenry

Columbus Museum (art)

Civil War Naval Museum (interactive exhibits)

Infantry Museum

Riverwalk -- biking, etc

Oxbow Meadows Ecology Park -- "tree top" walking trail

Springer Opera

Rivercenter (concerts)

2. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 29, 2005
Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

My husband and I also went to visit out son who was stationed at Fort Benning. We went down with his girlfriend. There didn't seem very much to do in Columbus. We did ride up to Warm Springs to go see FDR's Little White House. I found the museum and Little While House very interesting. I am a Eleanor and Franklin fan tho. It was a pleasant ride up there. Its about one hour away. I understand pine mountain and callaway gardens are nice also. But we did not have time. Our son had to get back to base.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

right down the road is eufaula alabama and lake eufaula home to some of the best fishing in the southeast. it's a quaint little town full of the old south charm from a time long gone by. try phil's best butts in alabama for a bbq lunch.

Columbus, GA
Level Contributor
77 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

You could take a short drive up to LaGrange about 45 minutes where there is a nice downtown area with shops and antiques. They have a couple of really nice restaurants downtown. Lemon Restaurant for a traditional southern lunch and the Basil Leaf for amazing culinary delights.

Head on over to West Point where there is also some very nice downtown shops.

Still further you could head over to Auburn and visit the University and the town.

While in Columbus why not take a cooking class at Columbus Cooks. You could also go and design your own jewelry or take a beading class at The Beadcage. Both of these places are a few shops away. I'm not sure whether there is still a pottery painting store, but I believe there is one in front of Lowes on Veterans.

About 45 minutes East of Columbus they have NHRA drag racing in Reynolds, GA. It is a straigh shot East on 80. They race most Fridays and Saturdays. A smaller 1/8 mile track is located in Phoenix City, but I don't know what weekends they run.

Check out the schedule for the Civic Center before you come and make plans for an evening event.

Bring your roller blades or bikes or walking shoes for the miles of well paved paths along the river walk.

Try some local brews at the Cannon Brew Pub downtown.

I know this is delayed from the original post, but I hope this helps.

Columbus
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

NO..it's is too dangerous to be out in Columbus. Very Very High Crime Rate plus there is NOTHING to do anyway.This town does not want anything going on here so Most everyone goes to Atlanta, Eufaula, or Lagrange.

Columbus should be called Boring Georgia!!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

great bbq town.....and across the liine too. try the country kitchen, fat freddies, macon road bbq, brennan road, chesters, mama pete's, chicken coma, mike n eds, or smokey pig. all have excellent bobbycue. good luck! if you wnat a chili dog hunt for the lieutentent's place and be glad you found it. columbus is a great town once you get to know it . confederate naval museum is there too.

Gillett, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
374 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

The danger statement is a little harsh. You've never been to the southside of Chicago have you.... Every city has their high-crime areas. The northern area of Columbus is very nice.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

Can you recommend a safe hotel to stay at near Fort Benning? I'm a single woman travelling to see her husband gradate from Basic Training. Sounds like the hotels are not in a safe area. Any suggestions?

GA
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is there anything fun to do here?????

To add to Dmitri's list, there is also Flat Rock Park, which is pretty and free and within city limits. It depends on the types of things you like to do. Definitely check out their website: www.visitcolumbusga.com. Their Calender of Events under the Visitors Tab occasionally includes free concerts and similar activities. But yes, Columbus is a traditional southern town and doesn't have the hype of Atlanta. The parks however aren't half bad if you like that type of thing.

Get answers to your questions about Columbus