We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the pocket

Which Calhoun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Topic
the pocket

just north of calhoun out highway 136 inthe chattahoochee national forest is a recreation area known as the pocket. it's a spring fed camping/picnic area just before you reach villanow that is secluded, peaceful and very clean. the water is clean and cold nad kids love to play there. there are facilities and the camp sites all have fire pits ans picnic tables. the pocket is a great place to picnic.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the pocket

the water sure is cold coming off that spring head. shady too out there making it about the coolest shady spot forty miles round.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the pocket

i went this past weekend just for the shade and chilly clean waters. there is nothing like wading or soaking your feet is fresh cold spring water on a hot day. the temperature back in there had to have been 20 degrees lower than that else where. made me want to build a dam and relive my childhood. what a refreshing spot.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
1,150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the pocket

this place is great for soaking tired feet after a hike, natural springs plentifully flowing, quiet, plenty of shade trees, and made for relaxing. enjoy!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the pocket

We went out there this past Sunday for a day hike. This place is something special alright. We saw deer, beaver and lots of birds. We scoped out the campground for primo sites and will definately go back in April when the campground opens. Also, Lake Marvin down the street looked like a great place to fish.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the pocket

Nearby Keowyn falls is a nice short hike, good when it has rained.

I like driving the country roads in the area. Used to mountain bike ride over at a WMA area nearby, but can't remember the name.

This whole area is nice.

6. Re: the pocket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:26 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Calhoun
Recent Conversations
More Calhoun Topics