We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

Valdosta, Georgia
10 posts
Save Topic
Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

Has anyone stayed at Southern Comfort Cabin rentals in Blue Ridge? We have found a cabin that we like there but we would like to know some reviews on the company.

Palm Harbor, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

Subject: Running Bear Lodge

Title: This mythical snipe hunt was unsuccessful.

ID#: 169620857

The owner of this cabin and potential clients, please take note... I did not stay at this cabin and here is why:

My wife and I were going to the Blue Ridge area to look at real estate. We thought it would be pleasant to stay in a log cabin since that's what we were looking for as a second home. We chose Running Bear Lodge because it looked very nice on the website. I made the necessary phone call and gave the manager at Mountain Getaway Cabin Rentals (MGCR) my credit card information to hold the cabin for our arrival on July 24th. MGCR charged my credit card $250, which was agreeable, and put me down for the 24th through the 28th of July. They sent an email with attachments which included directions, rental policies and checkin/checkout times. Checkin was at 3:00 pm but the office closed at 5:00 pm, which is a pretty narrow window of opportunity if you're driving nearly 600 miles. Additional instructions stated (paraphrased): If you anticipate arriving after 5:00 pm, arrangements can be made. At about a quarter of four, we called the office to let MGCR know we were on the way with our estimated time of arrival, 4:30 pm. There was no one in the office and the call was redirected to their answering machine (which was garbled and nearly unintelligible). Fifteen minutes later, we called again with the same results. Five minutes after that, I tried with my cell phone... nobody home. At 4:30 pm, we arrived at MGCR's office which was locked and devoid of human life. I made several more calls from onsite and watched the phones ring in the office through the window. By this time, it was after 5:00 pm and we were stranded in Blue Ridge without a place to stay. We drove into downtown to meet with our realtor and to our serendipitous surprise, discovered Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals two doors down. They were open until 7:00 pm, and on extremely short notice put us into a wonderful cabin on the banks of Fighting Town Creek. Furthermore, their checkout time, 11:00 am, was an hour later than MGCR's and we were told if we needed to stay as late as 1:00 pm, that would be no problem. The next day, at 2:28 pm, MGCR finally called to apologize and to explain that the key was in the box, next to the door. Well, since we were ON TIME, we didn't think that "arrangements" had been made or necessary. Furthermore, their response to our plethora of phone calls didn't come until 23 hours after our initial call to their office. They seemed surprised that we'd made alternate arrangements... what were we supposed to do, sleep in the car? MGCR promised to refund our deposit, but as a hedge, I informed my credit card company of the situation.

I have no quarrel with Running Bear Lodge per se, since we never got the chance to stay there. I'm sure it's a wonderful cabin. However, if you're considering booking through Mountain Getaways Cabin Rentals, you may wish to reconsider. This is no way to run a railroad... or a rental business.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

We used this company and stayed in 'Creeksong' in September 2013. They were fine to deal with and the cabin was amazing. There was a bit of confusion re the wifi code and they weren't overly helpful when they phoned from the cabin (it was their mistake in the end!) but overall they were a good company to deal with and I'd highly recommend that cabin

3. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:22 am, October 29, 2014
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

Does anyone have any experience with "Above It All" cabin?

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

We just returned from a trip to Blue Ridge and rented a cabin (Above It All ) from Southern Comfort. Very pleased with them. Kimberly was especially helpful.

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

In your posting you said you rented from Mountain Getaway Cabin Rentals (MGCR), this is not the same as SCCR Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals, so you are posting in the wrong area.

I have stayed with SSCR multiple times and they are great. You may want to remove your posting to the correct listing.

Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

Okay, so my bad. i did not read the entire other persons review first. Now it won't let me edit it.

We stayed in "A Bit of Heaven", a new cabin in their program in December 2015 and it was awesome. Plenty of room for all 10 of us and so warm and cozy - 3 fireplaces! The mountain views were so beautiful and the kitchen had everything we needed. They also now have keyless entry so you don't have to go to an office first th checkin, just straight to the cabin.

Edited: 11:33 am, June 23, 2016
LaGrange, Georgia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

We used SCCR for the first time this year, July 17-22, 2016....The name of the cabin was (A Whitewater Retreat). Everything went smoothly, would definitely use them AGAIN! The cabin was very nice and clean, loved how the owner's had it decorated. It sits a few feet from "Fightingtown Creek", which to me looked more like a large stream! There are two other cabins one on each side of it. One of them you can barely make out it's a cabin since the trees are so thick, the other one you can see real good, but since they were NOT rented that week, we had nature all to ourselves. Very private and quite except of course for the creek which sounds wonderful...We got in the creek every day, the grandson's enjoyed the hot tub also. Went Whitewater rafting, Zip Lining, shopped a little and ate out only once...I wish I lived there...LOVED IT!

Edited: 10:25 am, July 25, 2016
9. Re: Southern Comfort Cabin Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 27, 2017