We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spinger Mountain

Which Blue Ridge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NapTown
Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Spinger Mountain

My parents would love to hike a mile on the Appalachian Trail.

My dad is a Disabled Vet and cant walk much more than a mile.

Is there a way to get them to the start of the trail?

Thanks for your help..

Ellijay, GA
Level Contributor
447 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spinger Mountain

You can access the Appalachian Trail at Amicalola Falls. I would think it might be easier than starting at Springer Mtn.

OR. Maybe try some flatter areas of the Benton McKaye, like at the Rock Creek Connector.

Give your dad a hug for us, we appreciate his service more he will ever know!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Spinger Mountain

The start of the AT at Springer is accessed via an unpaved Forest Service road - it's not a difficult ride but takes about 30 minutes - and then it is little less than a mile, uphill (but going south) to the starting point. From Amicalola, to reach Springer you must use the 8-mile approach trail going northbound, which is pretty challenging. One of my favorite access points if I just want to do some hiking is at Woody Gap near Dahlonega, since it is all paved road, spectacular views on the way up, and there is a parking lot. You can hike south or north from there. I can't say it's the most spectacular part of the Trail, but if you just want to get on the AT... . Also, you can access the Trail at Neel's Gap.

You could call one of the hostels and arrange a shuttle; they can advise you on the best section. Go to www.whiteblaze.net for more information. Happy hiking!

Florida
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Spinger Mountain

You could also go straight down 60 (east or south) from 515. The road, which is paved and well-travelled, intersects the AT. It would be about an hour drive from 515. There's signs and parking where it crosses the AT. And there's easy hiking there. Enjoy!

4. Re: Spinger Mountain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 01, 2011