We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annapurna Concern

Villars-sur-Ollon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Annapurna Concern

Hi All,

I'm hoping to trek the Annapurna Sanctuary in mid-late November and have one concern...My fear of heights. I do realise that this is a low altitude trek and all, but I have a serious vertigo problem. Are there any parts of the trek that you'll have to go through ledges, cross high bridges or the like. I know it sounds sad, but I even get concerned on a 2-3 storey building.

Please reassure me,

Regards

CTMole

New Hampshire
9 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Annapurna Concern

Hello CTMole,

I'm sorry to say that you will encounter a few bridges and some ledge walking. What I'd suggest is to have someone that you can hold onto while crossing bridges with your eyes closed, same with ledges.

I hope this was helpful,

kathmandulady

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annapurna Concern

I considering a trek through Annapurna Sanctuary this fall and also have a fear of heights.

How did you find the trip?

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
41 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annapurna Concern

Hi! Just returned from ABC. Beautiful trek, worth trying. As for your question: tHere are a few bridges, all are the same model: serios metal work, and not too high(can send you a picture if needed). Once-twice there are ledges,not looks serious. If you're planning to take a guide (what I did and was very pleased with it), he definitely can handle the situation and help if needeD.

4. Re: Annapurna Concern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, April 23, 2009
5. Re: Annapurna Concern

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:31 am, July 08, 2009
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annapurna Concern

Generally the trails are fairly wide, and though along the sides of valleys they don't cling to the edges of steep slopes. The route as far as Chhomrong and beyond is mainly through well-terraced farmland (when it's not in woodland, where again there will be no feeling of exposure to big drops)

Beyond Khuldigar / Bamboo Lodge you are again in forest until you reach Hinku cave. Beyond there you are beyond the gorge section, and much of the trail is along the side of the wide glacial valley floor.This is particularly true of the final leg up to Annapurna Base Camp in the Sanctuary.

Bridges are generally fairly low structures over tributary streams apart from the suspension bridge below Chhomrong, which is a modern steel structure. The floor is close-spaced steel slats, and the sides have wire mesh as well as the suspension cables. the whole thing being no higher than a two/three storey building: I suggest that you follow closely behind someone, and keep your eyes focussed on the back of their neck !

Hopefully these isolated instances willl not put you off the idea of the trek: it's a magical trip!

7. Re: Annapurna Concern

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 24, 2009