We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time - lots of questions!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
650 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First time - lots of questions!

Hi! Looking at Crowne Plaza Singer Island for this June (yes, I know - hot, humid, but we're from S. Texas - used to it). Several questions:

Has anyone stayed here? Liked it?

Read on another site that many restaurants, etc. shut down during summer here - true?

Another post said Singer Island was safe, but mainland was a "no-go" after dark. What exactly does that mean - the entire city is unsafe? Seems a little extreme.

Is there any nightlife? Just thinking places for a drink, maybe live music.

Last, I have asked the question on another forum - but confused about answers. Are there some waves? Got an answer saying there are no waves on the beaches in the area - but another post says there is surfing nearby at Jupiter & Juno. Really just looking for three foot waves - good enough for a little boogie boarding.

McCarthy's Wildlife Sanctuary
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zoos
Okeeheelee Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Manatee Lagoon
Science Museums, Children's Museums, Specialty Museums
west palm beach...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First time - lots of questions!

Have stayed at the Marriott on Singer Island and live in West Palm and work on Singer. It is safe and if you travel toward PGA you are just fine. As mentioned in some other replies, Coconuts at the Hilton is on the island and is a casual place as well as most places here. Sailfish is also on the water on the island and has some water tours and boating rentals. Waterway Cafe, Panama Hatties are just a short drive and have night life as well.. not sure when they have live music. They are also on PGA. The concierge can give you all the directions. Right now I see waves on the island --everyday so...

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time - lots of questions!

I live in West Palm Beach and know alot of the area. I know exactly where this hotel is and since this is your first time all I would say is pick a different area. Palm Beach area code is 33480. Stay away from singer Island. Yea you can get to Palm Beach Gardens but unless you know the area and back roads with no lights well, I would suggest a different hotel.

The hotel itself is good....the area is is surrounded by...VERY BAD.

Juno and Jupiter are about 10 miles away. Some good hotels in that area

Nightlife is Downtown West Palm Beach about 8 miles away however that neighborhood I was talking about YIKES! you have to go through it.

Regarding restaurants....they do not shut down. We are an area of 1.7 millon people living here. This is not an area of 800,000 when I first moved here in 96

Good Luck

long island
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time - lots of questions!

Just returned from a 4 day trip to West Palm.

Retuning in July for 7 days, this is my 6th trip down there and we always stay on Singer Island. We have stayed in both the Crowne and the Hilton. Did stay in the Canopy Palms whis is next to the Hilton, and is being made into a condo, I would think the noise is an issue there. We chose the Crowne this time.

Blue Hern Blvd is not the place to be at night, but i've never had a problem during the day. Sea shell city right off of Blue Hern and broadway is a great place is you like shell.

I go over PGA Blvd to singer island, nicer drive, you cant get lost from 95. lots of resturants there, My fav is the River House.

the mall on PGA is great also.

We love the beach, Been to many islands and this beach is on our top 5 list. great water, small reef near shore to walk out to. Good food and great weather, what more can you ask for.

4. Re: First time - lots of questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 13, 2009