We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

Which West Palm Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

I'm flying into MIA at 6.30pm on saturday 30th april, I'm planning on staying in miami for a night and taking the trirail the next day at 10 am. I have to be at Port Everglades by 3 pm the latest.

I've read that the trirail can have delays, but I'm hoping that even with delays I'll be able to make it to FLL by at least 2 pm.

Otherwise I'm hoping that I can get off at an earlier station and catch a cab to the port.

So what are the chances of the trirail not making it to FLL station by 2 pm?

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

I'd take a cab or shuttle from your hotel to Port Everglades. Skip the train, it is not convenient to the port or where you want to stay the night. Why not stay in Ft Lauderdale instead of Miami? Look into a car rental for the day.

Edited: 8:28 am, December 09, 2010
Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

I wanted to take the train, because of the price. I found a cab from miami to fort lauderdale to be fairly expensive. The same goes for renting a car for just an hour drive away.

I'm planning to stay at the Hampton Inn at the blue lagoon and use their shuttle to the airport to get on the shuttle to MIA station. I prefer to travel by day so I can see where I'm going, that's why I decided to spent the night in miami.

I totally rely on public transportation for my everyday transportation, so I put more value on the price to get me from A to B than on the minor inconveniences that comes with using public transportation. As long as I can count on it to bring me to the place I need to go by the time I need to be there, it's fine.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
155 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

Sometimes TriRail is delayed due to rail issues. If you take the first available train to the Ft. Lauderdale airport and take the next available shared shuttle or taxi from there, you should arrive in time.You can almost see the airport from Port Everglades.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

I should think the 10 am train from MIA would be fine- and it is scheduled to arrive at the FLL Airport Station ( which is nearest to the Port ) at 10:32 so even with some delay you should really be fine. I'm not aware of any shared ride shuttle direct from TriRail at FLL to the Port- you would have to take the ( free) shuttle bus to the actual airport itself and then get GO van . Is there just you or another in your party? If there are two of you, the taxi fare shared will only be slightly more in cost than the GO van , which charges per person- for three of you, a taxi would likely be cheaper than Go Van. If you are alone, it would be worth your while to take the shuttle bus to FLL and then GO Van- it's a very short trip, so you should have time to do that.

Tri Rail only runs every two hours on Sundays, so the next train would be at noon , arriving at 12:32 and with the short ride from the station by taxi or shuttle/Go van , it should work too- no way to predict delays, but I think you should be ok at either time.

Dordrecht, The...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

Oke Thanks. It's going to be two of us. I'll take a look at the Go vans.

How do the taxis work?

Do we work out a price beforehand, is their a set price?

Is there only one recognizable company? Are there any taxis I should avoid?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,870 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

The taxis are on a meter and the formula is a bit complex, but about $2.50 a mile is a good approximation. I f you get one at the airport there is an access fee which the meter starts out with ( just a couple of dollars if I recall). From FLL to Port should be about $15 or so I think- no more than that I would guess- and that would be divided between the two of you, so not a major expense..

You can check GO Van rates and information at www.floridalimo.com They have starters and desks outside each baggage claim area in the FLL terminals . But I think I might just take a taxi- you'll go directly to your ship without having to stop to unload passengers and luggage e at any other ship first- which is a nice way to start your trip!

Bon Voyage!

By the way, if you haven't done so, go to www.cruisecritic.com , which TA also owns. You'll need to create a sign in to post on their Boards section ( which is like the Forums) but you can read reviews of every ship and find posts about each ship, every port you'll visit etc- you can even go to a section called Roll Call and find others sailing on the same date- one of those on our sailing was able to organize an onboard party hosted by Cruise Critic on our at sea day- all the ships officers came and we had refreshments and prizes, provided by the ship and tours of some of the high end cabins! Some of us even shared transportation in the ports etc- well worth visiting that site!

Ohio
Level Contributor
165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

We are planning on taking a cruise this summer with Royal Caribbean, they offer transportation to and from the airport in Fort Lauderdale and Miami, for a reasonable fee. Maybe your cruise line offers transportation.

8. Re: Trirail from MIA to FLL airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 am, July 10, 2011
Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach