We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see, where to eat in WPB.

Which West Palm Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What to see, where to eat in WPB.

Can anyone help me please. I picked West Palm Beach as a stop between Key West and St Augustine, now I am wondering why i did. It seemed a good idea at the time. Now it seems to be industrial and residential. Is this a good place just for an overnight and if so where should we eat and is there anything to see in the late afternoon, evening? Its too late to change as I have booked accomodation but have I made a mistake? I have booked for friends as well so I dont want to let them down.

Thanks if anyone can help.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see, where to eat in WPB.

Can you tell us when you will be here and where you are staying? Will you have a car? There is so much to do and see around here, it would help to know if you have any special interests. "Industrial and residential" does not describe the area I know!

Suffolk, England
Level Contributor
873 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see, where to eat in WPB.

We are there in mid september and we are staying at the Hibiscus House. There are four of us. It is only a short stay, a break in the journey. We like local history, walking, golf, interesting shops, architecture any thing really that gives us a flavour of local culture. Thank you for your help.

Palm Beach
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see, where to eat in WPB.

I would think that you would still be able to cancel your reservation, double check with them and then cancel it. For what you described though you will more than likely enjoy the B&B but you will not enjoy the particular area that it is located in.

If you are able to cancel, I would suggest looking at some reasonable places (since you booked the Hibiscus I am assuming you are looking for something in the $100 range) on Palm Beach. Bradley Park Hotel for instance, would probably be around $130 that time of year. You will be two blocks from the beach, you could walk to many shops, restaurants, fantastic architecture, Worth Ave, visit the Breakers Hotel, The Flagler Museum. Further south, The Ritz Carlton will be undergoing some renovations so they will be discounting their rooms as well.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see, where to eat in WPB.

Are you staying at the Hibiscus House downtown on Rosemary Avenue, or the one on 30th Street?

If you are downtown, you're in the heart of West Palm Beach and at the crossroads to Clematis Street and CityPlace. Lots of interesting shops and restaurants, interesting architecture, and you can walk to everything! Even if you're staying at the one on 30th Street, you can still get downtown, but you would need transportation, your own, or calling a cab if it's only an overnight stay. I'm sure the staff at Hibiscus can help you out.

Depending on the day/night of the week, there could be different evening activities. You also might check out the Kravis Center or Cuillo Theater (both downtown) to see if there is a performance (show or concert) which may interest you.

Once downtown, you can even hop a trolley for free to get around the area.

Please ask if you want more specific information. :-)

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
805 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see, where to eat in WPB.

The Hibiscus House in Downtown is fabulous...residental/industrial I am uncertain of where you heard of that? Regardless, I would not cancel your reservation if staying at the one b/w City Place and Clematis. There is so much to do in this area that one night will hardly be enough time to enjoy all of it. No worries about letting your friends down. You will have a great time. There are tons of great restuarants on Clematis street in downtown West palm Beach. In addition, City Place around the corner is loaded w/ great eateries and shops. The only downside to September is that it is hot.....being out of season though, us locals love this time of year to go out and enjoy our great eateries....waiting lists are minimal=). Have fun on your trip.

Palm Beach
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see, where to eat in WPB.

AbbieC-

Looking at your profile and other posts...cancel your reservation - the Downtown Hibiscus is quite charming and has a great little outdoor bar but it is noisy and more for the "upscale backpacker crowd" (for lack of a better term). The Hibiscus off of 30th, once again very charming, but in a residential neighborhood...and speaking of hood, literally within blocks of an area that you won't find to be "desirable".

Here would be my two recommendations for you to have a "memorable" time here in Palm Beach within a reasonable budget:

Bradley Park Hotel, you can get a room with a kitchenette, walk a few blocks to the beach, there is a market next door with a great wine selection buy a bottle and go sit on the beach at the end of the day, you have unbelievable restaurants all around you; Echo (great sushi and Asian), Capri Blu (Italian), or that time of year it is quite typical of restaurants on the island to offer summer specials Michael McCarty's last summer had a special (4 course meal with all the wine you care to drink for $35-$40), you can also rent bikes and go for a ride and look at some of the most amazing homes found in the United States, walk along Worth Ave, it would be a unique experience.

PGA National Resort & Spa: not anywhere near the ocean and you are at a resort, so no walking around and taking in the sights....other than the 4 golf courses. They are under new ownership and have a summer Unlimited Family & Fun rate, I belive for $130 a night you get a room, breakfast for two, and unlimited gold on 3 of their 4 courses; they play a PGA event here (on a course that isn't included in the price!). It is a very nice resort and you can drive to the beach, just down the street from great shopping and other restaurants, and if you are all golfers, you can't beat the price (the courses are very nice).

7. Re: What to see, where to eat in WPB.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:39 am, September 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach