We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

Columbus, OH
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

Help. We need to find a way to get an international traveler arriving Miami International to the Singer Island Hotel OR the West Palm Beach Airport (either would work) in the most economical and safest way possible. Is there a shuttle or ride share?

McCarthy's Wildlife Sanctuary
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Zoos
Okeeheelee Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks
Manatee Lagoon
Children's Museums, Science Museums, Specialty Museums
Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
40,597 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

I don't know for sure, except that it will likely be expensive- it is about a 100 mile trip. You might try calling Imperial , which services both airports and see what a price quote would be if they even do it- 888-369-9852. Prepare for sticker shock though. Another idea might be to check with the hotel and see if they have service to recommend. We had to be transported from PBI to Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago but the airline paid for it as they had cancelled our incoming flight to FLL - and at that time to Ft. Lauderdale which is north of Miami , the fare was about $100 in a taxi which we were able to share. It is not a trip that many people make very often I don't think. Will the person have lots of baggage? there is a Tri Rail light rail that runs from Miami Airport to PBI, but it is slow and often very off schedule and would be pretty hard to do with anything except a managable piece of small luggage in my opinion. The last leg involves a shuttle bus from Tri Rail station to PBI.It might be an uncomfortable situation for a newcomer as the cars have areputation for being dirty etc.

www.tri-rail.com

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,155 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

I use Tri Rail regularly between West Palm Beach and Miami as do many Airline employees. I find it reasonably on time. I travel usually with large duffel and dive bag with no problem at all. If guest is going to Singer Island they should board at the MIA airport and get off at Mangonia Park. From there they can take a taxi to Singer Island. If going to the PBI airport there is a shuttle from the West Palm Beach Tri Rail station. The only time I hesitate to take the Tri Rail is after 9 pm at night. I am a single woman and often travel on my own with no issues. The other option is Tri County Shared ride which can be slow and over $100 for the trip. Tri Rail is about $5.

Mentioned in this post
STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

Oxbpat, is there long term ( 1 week) parking at that northern tri rail stop and what is charge per day? And is it in a safe area - isn't that near Riviera Beach? And, with big suitcase and a carryon, is it doable for single female - how far from to stop to terminal, etc? I have traveled with same bags into Atlanta and Baltimore from the airport on subways, but no stairs to hang up rolling bag and I only had to walk 3 -5 blocks from my stop.

I dread driving all the way to MIA in morning traffic and thought this might be a non stress(read a book on the way) and cheaper way to get there.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,155 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

well...first off, I refuse to drive to Miami and will take a Limo first to avoid the stress. There is a long term free parking lot at the tri rail station. I only use tri rail during daylight hours and always take a cab or get a ride there. Safety of long term parking I can't vouch for. May be best to ck the tri rail website and judge for yourself. As far as luggage no problem and no stairs etc. I grab a lg coffee and usually take care of last minute business on my laptop on the way to Miami, on the way home a book and a snack suffice. From Stuart if you can get a ride to the Mangonia Park Station I would go that route. I do see lots of people lv their cars there just haven't done so myself.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

Obxpat, thanks for the info, that sounds way better than driving to MIA!

West Palm Beach...
Destination Expert
for West Palm Beach
Level Contributor
869 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

Take Tri-rail, no questions. Cheap and easy access from Miami airport. Pick person up at station closest to Singer Island. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Getting from Miami Internat'lAirport to West Palm area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, October 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about West Palm Beach