We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving near Vero Beach?

Which Vero Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Diving near Vero Beach?

Just wondering if there are good dive or snorkeling options nearby.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

You're in the wrong season. Snorkeling (not so much diving) is a popular summer activity, thanks to seasonal lack of waves or serious sea breezes, leaving the water clear and free of sediment.

I am totally non-expert, so here's a bit of obvious stuff.

A local dive shop, Deep six, has a useful pdf-format guide, unfortunately all text with no maps or illustrations. www.deepsixintl.com/shopcontent.asp…

This modest website (disposable-camera photos) provides an intro to the local reefs:

http://verobeachreefs.tripod.com/

There are visitable artificial reefs offshore:

ircgov.com/departments/public_works/coastal_…

The county government's beach preservation plan has, if you scroll down to page 17, maps of the reefs. Quote:

"An offshore reef, or hardbottom system, exists along the coastline of Indian River County. Figures 6 through 10 illustrate that the hardbottom parallels the shoreline, starting a few hundred

feet offshore and extending seaward about 2,000 feet. Hardbottom communities include wormrock (low-relief, and in conjunction with algal/sponge species), low-relief algal rock, and algal/sponge communities. A total of 3,740 acres of nearshore hardbottom habitat has been estimated for the County using aerial photography."

Then there's lobster season. Newspaper story:

tcpalm.com/news/…

An August review for the Costa d' Este hotel indicates that Scott is still running the "Shark Bait Club". I've met him (in the water at the beach). Nice, knowledgeable guy.

Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

thanks so much for the info. Hubby's parents have a place down there, so just wondering. Unfortunately, we would be traveling to visit them during the winter.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

Along with Deep Six, there's a newer dive shop,

www.waternsports.com/store1/default.asp

Here's a typical heads-up from a lifeguard at Wabasso beach (the one next to the Disney resort):

2ndlight.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm…

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,214 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

There is a small reef system close to shore in the between the Disney resort at Wabasso and Vero Beach. However late spring and summer are the best times to snorkel or dive this area when the water is very calm and clear. It is not like the keys with thousands of tropical fish but you will find some intersting sea growth and some saltwater fish around them. However winter time the water will probably be too rough and dirty. Once the waves churn things up here visibilty gets reduced quickly. Maybe plan a kayak or canoe trip on the Indian River Lagoon instead.

Take a ride up to Sebastian Inlet to watch the surfers. Some people do snorkel around the jetty here but you have to be very careful, the current is extremly strong here as well as tons of fishing line tangled in the rocks. There is a calm lagoon area for swimming here too if the water is warm enough.

Another cool canoe / kayak trip is to go up the Sebastian River (there are 2 forks) one fork goes to the old dairy farm turned subdivision but will take you thru more vegetative and possible wildlife sighting areas and the north fork goes to the C-54 canal. Sometimes you will see deer and wildcats if early enough in the morning. Might see an occaisional alligator too.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

Snorkeling inside Sebastian Inlet is fairly easy to do, not that I've tried it. You need an incoming tide (duh!) and, as is standard for Florida, a diver's flag. Here's a relevant discussion that also mentions Golden Sands Beach park:

2ndlight.com/fusetalk/forum/messageview.cfm…

Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

Wow. thanks everyone! Sounds like there is enough to do, even if a snorkel or dive won't be possible due to the season. I like the kayak idea.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

There's ample kayak rental opportunities, group trips, whatever.

Vero Beach, Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

I live in Vero Beach and dive year round, but I travel about 1 1/2 hours south for serious diving. Deep Six Dive Shop markets dives with Deep Six dive masters on several boats out of Jupiter, Riviera Beach, West Palm, etc. It's a short way to drive for some awesome diving. Drift diving on some really nice reefs and wrecks with lots of sea life rivals diving in the Keys (I actually prefer diving these reefs).

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

Deep Six's Vero Beach competitor, Water 'n Sports, didn't last long. Thanks, Shahnda C, for the comment. I'm pretty strictly terrestrial and can only repeat comments from colleagues and friends that there's lots to do nearby.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
14,214 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving near Vero Beach?

I don't recommend snorkeling at Sebastian Inlet. It is pretty cool and you will see some fish and other things, however there are ton's of old fishing lines, lures and other debri to get snagged and hung up on. Unless you are there when the tide is slow it is very strong and can pull you out to sea quickly, There are even occaissional rip currents in the inlet. On top of that a million (well not really that many!) but a lot of boats are constantly going thru and at a high rate of speed. The are supposed to stay in the channel but don't always and will throw a pretty good wake washing you into the rocks.