We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice FL? Help please

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Venice FL? Help please

We are thinking about renting a house in Venice Fl., but I know nothing about that area. I have been to Sarasota, Longboat Key, Ft. Myers, Naples, Marco Island, and some other nearby areas, but I'm not very familiar with Venice.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Guelph, ON
Level Contributor
320 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice FL? Help please

We love Venice! It's small, quiet and quaint! When we retire, we plan on renting a house down there! :)

I would try and rent close to the downtown area which is also very close to the beach. They have a nice public beach, with a neat lunch place. You won't find alot of fast food places within downtown Venice, you would need to venture out to Tamiami Trail for that 'busyness'. It's lovely there and I envy the opportunity you have!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice FL? Help please

Thank you Bonnie! THis is exactly what I was hoping to hear! I may be asking you some more questions . . . thanks!!

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice FL? Help please

Have been to Venice twice to Venice and love it. Great going to the beaches, especially shark tooth hunting. Small town with great jetties, dolphins can be seen right off of them. Flea market right in town has a lot of junk to look at, worth the trip. See the bird santuary behind the court house, do not forget your binoculars though.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice FL? Help please

Have been to Venice twice to Venice and love it. Great going to the beaches, especially shark tooth hunting. Small town with great jetties, dolphins can be seen right off of them. Flea market right in town has a lot of junk to look at, worth the trip. See the bird santuary behind the court house, do not forget your binoculars though.

Venice, FL
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice FL? Help please

Please make sure you do your research on Red Tide. If you have any lung disorders it could make you very sick. It is a beautiful area but in the spring and summer months you can't go to the beach without choking. Please take it seriously, I lost my Mother to it. For more info please check this out.

www.redtidealert.com

Phoenix, AZ
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice FL? Help please

I was born and raised in Venice. I now live in the Phoenix, AZ area. I guess you can say I am partial to Venice. It is a totally different town now than it was in the 70's and 80's. It wasn't as "touristy" as it is now. We used to have huge bon fires on Caspersen Beach..try doing that now! I don't know what it is that you like to do in your spare time, but whatever it is, the southwest coast of Florida has it. I love to go fishing and the area around Venice ( Sarasota and Charlotte counties) literally have some of the best fishing on the planet. I am a military retiree and whenever I decide to go fishing, that is the only place that I go. When I decide to literally retire, I'm going to do it in Venice.

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice FL? Help please

Oh boy - we're staying at the Beachcomber April 16-23rd. I recently found out that that weekend is the Shark's tooth festival, and I'm hoping it won't be crazy-crowded in the area and on the beaches. Can you give me any more info on the Flea Market in Venice - is it only on the weekend, location, etc? Also, any suggestions on casual dining would be great (when we're on vacation, my hubby would rather stay in his comfy clothes the entire time. We like a place with good-size servings of home-style comfort food :-)

I haven't seen any reviews lately on the Beachcomber, but am not concerned because we spend every waking hour outside, and only need a clean bed and bathroom.

I realize that there's a good possibility of Red Algae (and hopefully not Red Tide), so we're prepared to do day trips if needed.

I'm a shelling addict, and am excited to try hunting for Shark's teeth. Is there any "equipment" I should be sure to buy/bring that will help in my search, and does anyone know of any particular area I should go to.

Any insiders advice/words of wisdom is appreciated.

New York
Level Contributor
92 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice FL? Help please

I was really curious about the Flea market, and found this link online. It tells all about it - I'll have to be sure to plan on it for a rainy day.

http://www.thedomefleamarket.com/info.htm

9. Re: Venice FL? Help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, August 24, 2009