We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

Will be heading to Casey Key in a couple of weeks for the first time in a couple of weeks. In researching the area, came across a lot of info/videos on a dolphin known to hang around the Intercoastal Waterway known as Beggar/Mooch. Most of these posts were from several years ago--just wondering if he was still around and what the chances of seeing him or other dolphins might be.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

My parents see dolphins at the Nokomis Jetty quite a bit and within the waterways near Pop's. Not sure if its the same one but its quite possible. Enjoy it. Its a fun area.

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

It is one dolphin but people call him by different names. He is still around. So many people have fed him illegally over the years that he usually comes up to your boat looking for food. If he does not show up on his own he will if you beat on the side of your boat. He is fun to look at but DO NOT feed or pet him. He DOES bite and you endanger him by not making him find his own lunch.

Venice, Florida
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

Begger (aka Mooch) was found dead, Friday 9/21/2012 near the Albee Rd bridge that was where people would normally find him.

He had been in the area for over 25 years. But he was not a healthy dolphin. Necropsy on him found several injuries from various boating accidents, as well as fishing line, hooks and non-typical diet food in his stomachs. He also did not have a normal dolphin social behaviors, all because of the interaction with humans.

To any readers - please don't feed the wildlife. While Mooch was a tourism icon to Venice for over quarter of a century, it still is no reason to feed wild animals.

Thank you

lakeland, Fl
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

mooch was a rescued dolphin rehabbed at the Mote marina. They tried several times to return him to the ocean but he kept coming back. Their average lifespan is 20 years and I was introduced to him 14 years years ago, not sure of his age at the time.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

He just died. From todays paper

tampabay.com/news/…article1253211.ece

Please do not feed any wildlife or sealife.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

So sad. What is the normal life expectancy of dolphins?

lakeland, Fl
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

I read as long as 48 years but normal lifespan is 20.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

I spent many many years enjoying Mooch (beggar), my boys grew up with him following our boat. I know many fed him, fortunately I never witnessed this our par taked. It's sad he had been so ill for so long at the hands of selfish humans.

9. Re: Does Beggar the dolphin still hang around Venice/Nokomis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, December 17, 2013