We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possibly relocating - pros & cons?

new orleans
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
possibly relocating - pros & cons?

i am thinking of relocating back to florida, and perhaps want to see about the Venice area. does anyone have any pros & cons to share? i am in my early 30's and love the artsy type scene as well as the beaches. thanx for any help or advice offered.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

Just be aware how much home insurance will be.

Ironically in the news today, there was an item that says more people moved out of Florida than into Florida reversing a multi year trend.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

Are you single and in your 30s? The average age in the area would be older..

There is more of an art scene in Sarasota and a younger crowd either in the Tampa area or the east coast of FL..

What are you looking for?

How about employment?

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

I agree with the above post. Venice might be too Old for you.

Try Sarasota, Tampa and Ft Myers for a younger scene.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
new orleans
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

thanx for the posts - i want a small town where i can relax, but drive to a larger city when i want some night life (within 30 minutes). i also really want an "artsy" community by the beach. i may look around the gulf coast a bit more, based on the posts so far. thanx for the suggestions.

Venice Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

My observation here in Venice (been coming here for 10 years) is that there is an active year round community, a big highschool, meaning families, parades, casual dining (check the restaurants section of tripadvisor), lots of boating, hiking, biking, and it's not all older people. With Sarasota only 25-30 minutes (or less) away, you can get what you want by living in a small town and taking in all that Sarasota has to offer very quickly. There are 7-8 beaches within a short drive not counting Siesta Key. Venice has a Main St. (Venice Avenue), farmers' market for fresh food, libraries, all that a small town should offer.

Edited: 1:26 pm, March 07, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

I totally agree with Keukahappy! My husband and I had avoided looking for a home in Venice because many said it was a place for the really elderly. Finally, we investigated it and love the community! They offer all kinds of family events downtown. I love the parades because they remind me of my childhood in Margate, Florida. We did buy a vacation home there and couldn't be happier. Love Sarasota, but over the years, it has become so congested. In Venice, I feel like I can breathe and still be close to the Sarasota action.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
United States
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

We are looking into buying a second home. Can you give me any insights? We don't even know which airport to fly into. From what I have seen I really like the feel of Venice, Florida. A friend recommended it but I just don't know where to start.

TIA

Gina

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,394 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

There is an airport in Sarasota/Bradenton, but it is small w/o a lot of flights. Closest Major ones are Tampa or Ft Myers (RSW).

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Bradenton
Bradenton
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

Venice has many different areas and many different types of properties.

Do you want a single family home, condo, townhouse? Something close to the downtown, the beach, a golfing community? Price range?

My husband is from the Quad Cities area and the cheapest flight we have found flies into/out of Tampa. Which airport will yoy be flying out of? Do you have Southwest Airlines? Good rates and no baggage fees.

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Tucson
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: possibly relocating - pros & cons?

I'll be watching this thread with interest, as it's quite possible we'll be moving to Venice from Tucson. My husband has a job offer in negotiations. If all goes well, he'll be out there in mid-July and the kids and I will follow about a month later, after we get our house on the market.

We've never been to Venice before so I hope we'll like it. I'm from a small town originally and wouldn' t mind the opportunity to raise my family in a small town again.

Are there any nice, sandy beaches in the Venice area for the kids to play on?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
;