We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

I am planning a father & son tent camping trip to Venice FL in early June. My son is 8 years old and he wanted to hunt for shark teeth for our annual trip. We are from southern Illinois.

Any advice on a good campground close to the beach. Any other advice, such as on shark teeth hunting, would be appreciated. Note, we have never been below the pan handle of Florida.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

I would suggest 2 different places to camp in the area.

Oscar Scherer State Park is located on US 41 in Osprey, which is north of Venice.

A much larger State park, is Myakka State Park.

It is further away from the beach and Venice (east of I-75 in Sarasota), but has much more to do and see.

Here is a website to see all the options in FL and read about these 2 places:

www.floridastateparks.org/CampCabinLodge.cfm

Casperson Beach in Venice is the place for fossilized sharks teeth.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

~SRQgirl

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

Not much available for activities at Oscar Scherer State Park, it is really a hiking park. Campgrounds is along the stream in the park, close together but we drove through last month while the snowbirds were still there. Swimming is not good, the lake has 2 warnings, one for gators and one for ameba that come out in warm weather and can cause brain damage, not kidding. Myakka River state park is beautiful, but quite far from the beach, worth a day trip though. We stay with our trailer at Venice Campgrounds, not on the beach in Venice but easy access via Venice Ave and Jacaranda. It is on the Myakka River and has an area for tent camping right on a back channel of the river. They have a web site if you want to check it out.Also, right next to Snook Haven, boat tours available, or the campgrounds rents canoes. We do go to caspersen beach for shark tooth hunting and had excellent luck last month. Make sure you bring a florida shovel or strainer for searching.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Southern Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

This is our first time shark tooth hunting, what is a Florida shovel?

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

There is a campground -- Turtle Beach -- on Siesta Key that is run by Sarasota County. You have direct access to a nice beach there.

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

A florida shovel is a basket attached to a long handle used for shark tooth hunting. It can be bought at kmart, walmart etc in venice. Some people use a kitchen strainer but we have always used a "florida snow shovel" as you do not have to bend as much. You scoop up sand and shells from the water in the basket, shake out the sand, dump it and hopefully find teeth. we really did have luck last month, the most we have ever found.

The web site for the campgrounds is campvenice.com The tent area is right next to a pond off a back wash from the river. There is fishing for talapia and other fish right there. One person caught a 17 inch snook last month while we were there. There are also gaters to be seen.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,649 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

The Turtle Beach RV Park is primarily for RVs.

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

You'll see a lot of RVs at Turtle Beach (after all, they have electricity at the sites), but you'll also find tent campers as well. There are 40 campsites "for RV and Tent camping" as the County website describes it. It's one of the few (only?) places in this area where you can actually camp next to the beach. It's a small park so if you're interested, plan ahead and make a reservation. For more specifics, go to www.scgov.net and then to the Parks section.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,579 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

It will be very hot then, so I would second the stay on Siesta Key as it will have beach access and seabreezes. I wouldn't go then w/o access to A/c lol.

Also, stock up on good Deet based mosquito repellant as they will be out and about then in force.

Sarasota, FL
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

Hi: I work for Sarasota County Parks & Recreation. Try Turtle Beach Campground. Located south end of Siesta Key. They have specials going on right now. You can check it out at www.scgov.net/turtlebeachcampground

The only campground right on the beach.

Donna

djohnson@scgov.net

chicago, illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tent Camping & Shark Tooth Hunting

If you are truely interested in being close to Venice and its beaches, Siesta Key is a ways north and in a very busy area, but being the off season it may not be bad. Read the reviews on the campground before you make up your mind. If you do not mind staying north of Venice, consider again Myakka River State Park, which is north but east of the interstate so it is a travel to the beaches.