We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop In Venice?

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
731 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Stop In Venice?

I was wondering if Venice might be a nice little town to stop in for some lunch and shopping while traveling from Sarasota to Sanibel. I fugured that we would leave Sarasota in the morning, and find someplace to stop before arriving in Sanibel in the late afternoon. Are there better options for stopping?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop In Venice?

Venice is nice - kind of old fashioned (which I like) with good shops and restaurants. It's nice to get out of the car and stroll around.

We do the Sarasota to Sanibel trip every year, likewise leaving Sarasota mid morning and heading south - this year we stopped off at Punta Gorda at a place called Fishermans Village. It was nice, had a couple of restaurants and some neat shops and was all contained together. (Very nice shoe shop).

More info at -

http://www.fishville.com/

We've also stopped off at Historic Spanish Point a couple of times - no shops or food but a really nice deviation en route.

http://www.historicspanishpoint.org/

If you don't mind heading right down to Fort Myers and then stopping off ( slightly further south than the Sanibel turn off) there are nice shops and restaurants at Coconut Point - we visited a year ago and it was pretty new but plenty of choice for both retail therapy and food.

fortmyers-sanibel.com/do/…shop

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stop In Venice?

Venice is only 20 minutes south of Sarasota.

It is a quaint town with some nice dining options.

What type of food and atmosphere are you looking for?

~SRQgirl

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stop In Venice?

Is there anything to see or maybe some little shops to wander around in? As far as lunch goes, maybe a samll cafe with some good sandwiches (something different) or maybe someplace wwith some good seafood. Are there any sidewalk cafes or places that offer a nice view?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stop In Venice?

Downtown Venice is not by the water. There are sidewalk cafes on Venice Avenue etc.

If you want something on the water, you could try the Crow's Nest..not fabulous food, but OK and on a marina. You could have sandwiches or appetizers etc.

I'll try to dig up a website or 2.

Would you prefer the water or the nice sidewalk cafe downtown?

You'll love Sanibel BTW.

~SRQgirl

Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
731 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stop In Venice?

From what i have seen, the downtown area looks nice, so i think that we would probably like to do some shopping around and maybe have lunch there. Either a sidewalk cafe or just a small cafe with a good atmosphere would be great. Is the beach nice in Venice? I figure that we will be visiting several beaches on our trip, but the emphasis here is on a nice little town to visit.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stop In Venice?

Well, one of the beaches in Venice is called Casperson Beach...the place to go for fossilized sharks teeth.

Venice is laid back, I think you'll enjoy the downtown.

Websites to follow....

~SRQgirl

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,745 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stop In Venice?

http://www.onveniceisland.com/dining.html

James Place is good and TJ Carneys has outside tables. ~SRQgirl

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,226 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stop In Venice?

This will take you slightly out of your way and you will have to back track,

but I would suggest Gasparilla Island. Lovely quaint littel ton of Boca Grande with those small shops. Ilike to have lunch on the beach at the South Beach Grill.

Just head south of Sarasota on 41, then down to Englewood and south on placida Rd. Go south til the turning for the island.

Once you leave the island turn RT on Placida to the end and go up rt 771/Gasparilla RD until you hit the 776 to Port charlotte which will take you back to the 41.

9. Re: Stop In Venice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, October 16, 2009