We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

We stayed over the 4th of July in 2005 and had the wonderful experience of RED TIDE. Did not have it last year. Are we free and clear thus far this year?

I know the county rec dept has website, but it is somewhat hit and miss when trying to figure it out.

casselberry, florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

so far, so good. there are small amounts in sarasota and manatee co. but not enough to even really register. we had a mild spring and a fairly mild may and early june- just last week, temps have really started to heat up which will warm up the water which seems to bring it on.

don't worry though, i don't think there's really enough time between now and july 4th to get it going like 2005. that was a REALLY bad year and it even drifted as far up to the beaches in the panhandle.

maybe in august or sept. you might have it, but for early july, you should be just fine. enjoy!

casselberry, florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

afavre, forgot to tell you- go to www.myfwc.com and click on research and it will give you the latest reports on red tide for all counties in the gulf. they update it every friday

Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

Thanks for the info. LOVE the area. Used to be a huge Daytona fan. However, fafter staying at 2 great places in the area over the last 2 years and after "discovering" the beaches at Ft. Desoto, this is my new favorite Florida area.

Enjoy the mall. Enjoy Shells on the way to Ft. Desoto and even found a Stacey's buffet tucked away in the clearwater area.

Also cannot wait for the 4th as I know the fireworks will be spectacular.

Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

Thanks for the info. LOVE the area. Used to be a huge Daytona fan. However, fafter staying at 2 great places in the area over the last 2 years and after "discovering" the beaches at Ft. Desoto, this is my new favorite Florida area.

Enjoy the mall. Enjoy Shells on the way to Ft. Desoto and even found a Stacey's buffet tucked away in the clearwater area.

Also cannot wait for the 4th as I know the fireworks will be spectacular.

essen, germany
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Anna Maria Island, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

You can check the current status here:

research.myfwc.com/features/view_article.asp…

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

We've been at the beach at TI every afternoon this week and its delightful!!

7. Re: Any Red Tide Yet This Year?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Treasure Island