We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this near the beach?

Which Tarpon Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is this near the beach?

We are wanting to book a vacation home in Tarpon Springs and the owner tells us its within walking distance to a very nice, not too busy beach, called Anclote River Park. He says this home is where the Anclote River meets the Gulf. Is this a swimmable area?

Here is the address:

1264 Anclote Rd , Tarpon Springs , FL

But as I read this forum, it sounds like there aren't too many beaches close by.

There is also a Tikki Restaurant on this beach, call Ms. Vickie's. Does anyone have any personal experience with this area?

Thanks!

Chris

orlando burb
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this near the beach?

it's been quite some time since i have been there, but tarpon is not really known for it's beaches.....imo, you would have to drive to clearwater find that

from looking at a google map, which confirms my suspicions, it looks like the "beach" there is kinda cut off by barrier islands in the gulf....the water will not be that clear for you will have the river flowing into it there

if you are looking to be close to the "beach" there are better choices along the gulf coast from clearwater down to naples

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this near the beach?

Tarpon Springs is known for its sponge docks and awesome Greek food, but not for its beaches.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this near the beach?

That house might be by 'the water' and you may be able to walk to the shore, but if what you are looking for is what the normal tourist would think of a "Florida beach vacation" then you should look elsewhere - Clearwater Beach, Sanibel, Daytona etc. You would be able to drive to Fred Howard Park in around 15-20 minutes. There is a nice, quiet, non developed beach there. The closest touristy beach area will be Clearwater Beach, about 40-45 minutes drive South of that location.

Tarpon Springs does have alot to see and do, but I'd hate for you to expect to be in a touristy-beachy area and be in a residential subdivision far from the larger beaches.

Misawa, Japan
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this near the beach?

Anclote River Park has a small swimmable area. It is also used for its boat ramps. There are bathrooms and a small vending trailer. Ms. Vickie's has great food and drinks and is a very fun place to hang out. This whole area is not "touristy" and is where the locals hang out. In fact, it is the very northern portion of Tarpon Springs. I believe that Anclote River Park is even considered Pasco County.

This would be a suitable location if you are looking for a laid back local area. The best beaches in Tarpon Springs are Sunset Beach Park and Howard Park.

Good luck :-)

Milford...
Level Contributor
4,284 posts
618 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this near the beach?

tarponspringsmom, thanks for the info!

Canada
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this near the beach?

Thanks to everyone for the info! We don't really mind a smaller beach, that's not too touristy, as we have 3 young kids, but I really want a place they can swim in.

We did see that there are bigger beaches nearby if we want to do that. We're hoping to rent a vacation home and to get one right on a big, touristy beach would cost us a fortune!

Tarponspringsmom, is this area fairly safe? And is hanging out with the locals a good idea :) The Tikki bar looks great for our purposes.

Thanks!

Misawa, Japan
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this near the beach?

The beach is roped off and is great for small children. If you prefer a larger beach, you can head over to Howard Park (10 mins. away). If you prefer a larger, more touristy area you could head down to Clearwater/Sand Key area.

The area around Ms. Vickie's/Anclote Park is very uncrowded. The locals are fine and I consider it a very safe area. It is pretty much a residential area with some businesses & marinas surrounding.

:-)

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this near the beach?

Howard Park is an excellent park facility and the beach is very good. Nice swimming area for the kids and also other areas to fish. Worth a visit.

For the touristy beach experience you must go to Clearwater Beach.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this near the beach?

I think Howard Park is absolute Paradise! It's a beautiful, clean beach, not extremely busy and the water is pretty shallow. We happened upon it a couple of years ago by accident, and it's our favorite now.

Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this near the beach?

We are leaving in a few days for Tarpon. I am suprised no one had mention Caladisi and Honeymoon. Caladisi and Honeymoon use to be one island until a hurricane passed thru many years ago and broke them apart. They are now state parks. In the off season they are awesome. You can park and just sit at Honeymoon, get out and walk the coast, go shelling, pack a lunch. There are bathrooms and a small concesion bar. Not too far away you catch a boat for like seven or eight dollars and they take you out to Caladisi and "drop" you off. white sand against the sky, and Gulf of Mexico . for us it is a must see. It has trails and also has a concession stand, bathrooms. Shelling is the best, water is clear and warm. On off season it is quiet. We have been there 23 times and only once was it crowded. There are times we have been the only ones.

When you get off the boat you walk thru a jungle like area where they have wood walkways and cement walways. There are some wild animals and again shells galore. Will let you know about Tarpon. As for clearwater we don't like it because it is so crowded.

KCMM

Get answers to your questions about Tarpon Springs