We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls Weekend

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Girls Weekend

Hey ya'll! I am from orlando and I am a little embarassed to say that I have never really visited tampa too much. I was there for Gasperilla one year but I dont really remember a thing.... sooo I need some help!

A bunch of us girls are going down to tampa from Florida state the weekend of july 21st. We are trying to figure out where to stay! Prefferably a marriot (but all suggestions would be great!)

1. We for sure want to go out in ybor. Also, we are told whiskey park is a must but it seems from what I have read on these postings so far that those two places are not too close to one another? Are there hotels in that area?

2. I would also really appreciate suggestions for a place to have a birthday dinner for like 10 girls, with good taste, that is not too stuffy. It would be amazing to get suggestions in all price ranges if possible.

3. also is there a lot of public transportation? I seem to remember getting on some street car thing, but again I was pretty tipsy sooo I don't exactly recall. It would be nice not to have to worry about driving. also are there limo services anyone could suggest? with girls you have to be careful about that kind of thing.

Thanks so much!

tampa, FL
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls Weekend

Ybor is dead dead dead... I love going to movies there because one you can drink, and two no one is there... Never seen more than 20 people in with us (and that opening weekend nights).

Marriott Waterside ( http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34678-d223867-Reviews-Tampa_Marriott_Waterside_Hotel_and_Marina-Tampa_Florida.html) and LOVELY and you can walk to Channelside. And even hope on a trolley to Ybor from there (bring sure to bring lots of change as the trolleys do not give it). Also cabs are super cheap to and from ybor as well, as it not far at all.

Channelside (http://www.channelside.com/) and downtown area is also much safer than Ybor. I do highly recommend maybe eating in Ybor. There is some really good food there, or if you want a low key pub type New World on 8th Ave (next to Ybor Square) is great.. Alot of bands play there as well, its really the only other place I go to down there.

More of the hipper crowd heads to Hyde Park Cafe in Hyde Park/SoHo/South Tampa (whatever they are calling it this week) area... A little to uppity for me, and very very wanna be rich people.. But I love the Dubliner (http://www.thedublineririshpub.com/) down there. Not too many hotels really closer to there, that I can think of off hand. But I will look tonight when I drive thru on the way home. It is a pretty neat area with loads of places to eat and drink!! Macdintons (http://www.macdintons.com/) is a Tampa landmark and always packed, especially around happy hour!

But I would go to either area and not Ybor! But if you making a weekend of it, then maybe one night at each. If you go to South Tampa/SoHo/Hyde Park area, I would suggest getting a cab that lets you off at 2307 W Azeele St which is the Dubliner. If you turn left out of the door of there and hit Howard (Macdintons towards the right and Hyde Park Cafe and The Rack are on Howard to the Left, all within 2 1/2 blocks at most of each other). There are alot of other places, if you just walk Howard around there.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls Weekend

are there hotels near the hyde park area... I checked that marriot there is no availabilty. It actually seems like the perfect place to stay so its a big bummer. Double bummer because we can get friends and family discount... anyways... where is this whiskey park place? is that in hyde park?

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls Weekend

Agree with Mich, I have not been to Ybor in years. It may still be fun for people in college, though. If the Marriott Waterside is full, you might want to check out the Westin Harbour Island. It is right by Marriott Waterside, so you are still walking distance to Channelside and trolley to Ybor. There are always lots of cabs and it is probably about $10 from here to soho/howard avenue. Also Jackson's is right next door and it gets a big crowd on Friday nights. It's a bit cheesy, but very popular and might be fun for a girls' weekend.

There is also a Courtyard Marriott downtown. (Sounds like you might be able to get a discount at Marriotts)

Whiskey Park is on Howard Avenue. I agree that Howard Avenue/Soho area is a better place to go out at night, but I am older than college age now (alas!). Dubliner is nice, but only has wine and beer (no liquor). It kind of reminds me of bars in Tallahassee actually. MacDinton's has a happy hour on Fridays that offers something like $10 all you can drink. I believe it ends at 8:00pm, but am not positive. They have a live band, I think after 10pm. You could also start out at Po' Boys on Howard (to remind you of FSU!!)

I'm assuming all of you are at least 21. If not, then I think Ybor has some bars that are 18 and up to get in. On Howard Ave. you'll have to be 21 to get in.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls Weekend

Sorry, forgot to mention restaurants. There are a lot of good places to eat. It just depends on what you want. To save on cab rides, you might want to pick a place close to where you want to go out.

In Ybor, there are several restaurants. Big City Tavern is good. So is the Columbia, but I think that doesn't have much of a "young" seen. Bernini's has good Italian and so does La Terraza.

Several places to eat at Channelside...Tinatapas has tapas (spanish appetizers). You could get a bunch and share. There is also a Hooters and Bennigan's if you are on a budget. Splitsville is an upscale bowling alley, but they also have great appetizers you could share. Grill 29 is nice, but a little more expensive.

Howard Ave. also has several restaurants. 717 is nice, has both Italian and Asian style food, steaks. It is right across the street from Whiskey Park. Mangroves serves food if you go early enough, and turns into a nice bar later with a DJ. Sangria's is really good and right next to Dubliner and really close to MacDinton's--again Spanish tapas. I would make reservations for 10 people. If you are looking for cheaper...there is Po Boys and also a Panera Bread.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls Weekend

its nice to hear the comparison to tally. We are all 5th year seniors so yeah we are old now! (well it feels like it with all the freshman girls in town for summer C)

Thanks for the info on wiskey park. We heard it was kinda like potbellies minus the annoying freshman girls hitting on the older pi kapps and sigma chi s. So we are going to check it out. Thanks for the info on the other hotel options. We can handle beer only places... we somehow ended up at ken's yesturday... our mugs will be in soon soo we don't mind. However its always fun to do the girlie things on a weekend like that.

Any suggestions for dinner near the hotel you suggested? does the "cheesy" place have food too? I am sssoooo confused on the location of things in tampa...

thanks!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls Weekend

the tapas places sound like a great idea!

No po boys for us... we will be doing that every game weekend come fall. haha.

Is there a place to get a good brunch?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls Weekend

Head over to Channelside for dinner, Tinas Tapas and even Thai Tani for Sushi or Thai. Cabs are a flat $3.00 per person all around downtown area(Ybor/Channelside/Hyde Park). There is a streetcar that take you from the Marriott Waterside downtown to Chanelside to Ybor City. Channelside does get busy, there are quite a few places, (SlingShots, Margarita Mama's, Banana Joes and Velvet)

If you are hitting up Ybor, a few fun places include Green Iguana, Prana, Club Code, Club Hedo, Amphitheater, Club Czar, Tampa Bay Brewing Company, New World Brewery, Castle, Rare Olive.

Im 35 now and enjoy the Hyde Park/SOHO area, many places were mentioned, but Hyde Park Cafe, Dubliner and MacDintons are my favs. Hyde Park Cafe is best on Fridays after midnight(late night).

Hotels to consider in Ybor include Hampton Inn Ybor and Hilton Garden Inn Ybor, Don Vincente B&B Ybor. At least if you stay in Ybor you can either start and/or end the night there.

tampa, FL
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls Weekend

I have to second Big City Tavern in Ybor, very good.. Maybe pricey for a college student. Laughing Cat on 8th in Ybor is very very good and a small quaint place (Italian food).

Channelside, the Tapas place, and actually the bowling alley (not a normal bowling alley at all) have really really good food. It does have a bar/dinner area next door.

I third the Westin on Harbor Island. Super nice hotel. There is also a Sheraton Riverwalk, Ashley Plaza, Residence Inn (which is a Marriott Property), and Hyatt downtown as well. While neither is as close to Channelside as the Marriott. It is a good alternative.

There is a Marriott on Westshore... But that would be a little further away.

Late late night, The Hub in downtown.... Pours the a very stiff drink and cheap. Very much a local hangout and kinda a dive bar. And normally not until all the other bars are closing, but its a fun place... Hattricks and Dave Anderchucks are sports bars downtown, near St Pete Times Forum (the hockey arena in front of Marriott Waterside). Happy hour at Jacksons on Friday night (on Harbor Island) is very well attended and a great place. Newk's is where I always go before and after any event at the Forum. Very good food and not too pricey (no frills seafood). Nice, large outdoor deck to enjoy. Its next to Dave Anderchucks on Channelside Dr across the street from the Forum. Good drinks normally too with full bar and the grouper sandwiches are pretty darn good.

Another area I forgot is Bay Street at International Plaza. Great food!! And has Blue Martini as a club there. I love the Bamboo Club for food and the Cheesecake Factory is there as well. It is pretty close to the Marriott Westshore.

Personally I would not stay at a hotel in Ybor. The projects are not very far, and crime there can be really bad. I have had many many friends live in Ybor over the years, and every single one of them have been robbed. Some were robbed at gun point and some beat up... Personally I would stay closer to downtown, Harbor Island, or even Westshore area. But Harbour Island and Channelside area is much safer - even though its just a few miles away.... Its were my friends and I stay if we do get a room, so none of us have to drive for the night. But with that said, I don't mind going to Ybor to eat and go to New World... But staying there at the hotels and being very drunk there super super late and all girls. Just be safe is all!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls Weekend

Yeah we are looking at staying at the embassy suites by the airport or places out there. A lot of places are booked solid or are a little out of our price range for hotel. We would rather spend the money to eat and drink. I looked at the menu for Seven 17 south, and it seems like its good food at a good price. We really aren't the broke type of college student we just prioritze the money we do spend. I hope staying by the airport is ok? A lot of the places have shuttles that will run to channelside which is nice and isn't that where the international plaza is by? We will probably spend more of our time in hyde park it seems. Pretty much where ever we stay it will cost us only about 50 bucks for both nights once we split up the room costs.

Are taxi's easy to come by? You where saying that everywhere downtown is an easy cab ride but now that we are staying a little furhter away (trust us we wish we weren't the hotels on channelside look perfect, I can see why they are booked) or if we are going to be splitting up our night between places should we rent a suburban or a limo? and if so know of any good cab companies?

Thanks so much!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls Weekend

Use United Cab 813-253-2424. They will always be available at the hotels, and usually driving up and down Howard Avenue(SOHO/Hyde Park area), and always waiting outside the valet stand at Channelside. Just keep the drivers card with you, usually they allow you to call them directly.

Embassy is nice in the Westshore District, Westhore Plaza is across the Street and Intl Plaza is about a mile to the north. Downtown is only about 5 miles East.