We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Millersville...
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

Hello. I am looking for some ideas for a breakfast stop somewhere along the journey between the Tampa Int'l Airport and the Kissimmee/Orlando area, preferably closer to the Tampa end of the jaunt. This would be on a Saturday morning in June - if flight goes as planned, we should be hitting the road in our rental car by no later than 10am'ish. We are 2 adults and 1 19-yr-old, with no food allergies or dietary issues. What I'm looking for is:

1) no chain restaurants

2) no buffet restaurants

3) traditional hot breakfast meals

4) seated/table service (but would consider counter service with ample comfortable seating, if recommended)

5) ideally, a diner/mom-n-pop/family restaurant (it's fine if it's older, outdated, no-frills, etc.)

6) hopefully in an area that won't be super-crowded with long line to get in (if there is such a place on a Saturday morning in June in this area?) - would consider driving off-the-beaten-path a little

I would appreciate any/all recommendations, suggestions, input, etc. :-)

Thanks!

Edited: 12:58 pm, June 03, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,825 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

I'd post on the Lakeland forum. It is on your way, and i was going to suggest Cracker barrel at the exit there, but you said no chains. But I am sure there would be a local place in that area.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

I'm not a bfast person, so I have never had bfast here. It is very near the airport and seems to do a nice business in the mornings... www.jimbosbarbq.com

Easy to get to from the airport. And easy access to I-275 for the drive to Orl.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

Most Saturday mornings will be crowded everywhere unless you get there early. I was also going to say Cracker Barrel until I read the no chain thing. Between Tampa and Orlando along the interstate, there are not many non-chain places. If you go toward the beach, there are some options, but it will be in the other direction.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

Mom's Place is on Dale Mabry, kind of near the stadium, not too far from the airport. It is a no frills, out dated diner. I've only been for lunch, but I imagine breakfast is regular diner-style. Not sure about the wait, but these type of places usually turn tables pretty quickly.

Millersville...
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

amanx: thanks for the suggestion about posting on the Lakeland Forum - I will give that a try.

MarkBee: thanks for the info. and link for Jimbo's BBQ - their online breakfast menu seems to be just the type of place I had in mind - and thanks for pointing out the ease of getting to it and then gettinhg back on-track for Orlando - we'll definitely keep this one in mind! :-)

surfflishFLA: thanks for the input - I'm actually a huge Cracker Barrel fan, but I know we'll be doing that during our Orlando stay (along with a few other chain restaurants), which is why I was hoping to try someplace less commercialized during this particular drive - something different, for a change. :-)

fsufan: thanks for the input about Mom's Place - was hoping not to head toward the stadium, but who knows?, and I do appreciate the suggestion.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it (I still have about a week for gathering info...)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
312 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

Cracker Barrel! It is technically a chain but I agree with the others- it is always a good, yummy idea! ( it is on your path too.)

7. Re: Breakfast ideas between Tampa Airport and Orlando?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 02, 2014