We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please. Why avoid Tampa?

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice please. Why avoid Tampa?

We are a couple, late 50s, booked for 13 days in October, flying into Tampa.

In planning for this, several folk have suggested we give Tampa a miss.Why?

While we do want to spend some time at Clearwater, this is not essentially a beach holiday.We go to Tenerife or Mallorca for that so I'm hoping someone can suggest an itinery and which areas to stay.

Ideally we'll have either a day of 'biz' then a rest day or a morning /afternoon split. We are not shoppers but on holiday we particularly enjoy promenade or waterfront walks with a bit of bustle, stopping for coffee while watching the world go by.

From the tampa.com site, Tampa seems to have that. Is that the case?

We wondered about a couple of days there, then a few at Clearwater and finish with a few days down the coast a bit before returning to TPA for the return flight.

We feel we should really get hotels booked sooner than later so advice would be gratefully received

Also, should we wait till we leave Tampa[if we stay there] before hiring a car?

Thank you

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please. Why avoid Tampa?

Tampa isn't as big of a tourist destination as the Gulf beaches nearby are, which is probably why you are hearing to miss it. There are no beaches in Tampa. For a waterfront walk, you can walk down Bayshore Blvd. Lots of people walk it daily for exercise. On one side is the bay and on the other are mansions. The Riverwalk is another option. It's not finished yet, but is partially open. You could stop at the Columbia Cafe at the Tampa History Center for coffer or a meal or stop for a drink at the Sail Pavilion. Another good walk, though not waterfront, would be down 7th Avenue in Historic Ybor City.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
44,857 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please. Why avoid Tampa?

yes, that is why we say miss it. I also miss it myself and go other areas to get the same (such as St Pete and Sarasota) because Tampa has a bit worse traffic being a larger city.

If I wanted a City break, not sure i'd choose Tampa over other US cities like NY, San fran etc as they have more to see do/yet still have the waterfront walks and shopping..

Tampa isn't a bad place at all, just not a place i'd go for a vacation.

Scotland
Level Contributor
175 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please. Why avoid Tampa?

I sent for info from the tourist board.

Tampa sounded good but I'm more convinced by personal recommendation.

We'll perhaps just visit for a day

Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
44,857 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please. Why avoid Tampa?

Plus, I gotta say, I've been to spain and the islands, but they don't have beaches as nice as Anna Maria and Siesta key- far better beaches in FL/

the beach in clearwater is fine, but I am not a huge fan of big city urban beaches and prefer smaller quainter places myself

5. Re: Advice please. Why avoid Tampa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 24, 2014