We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

Virginia
Level Contributor
218 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

I am looking to rent a car at TPA during spring break. I read the thread about Advantage so they are out. I don't want to ruin my vacation to save a little money. However, I see the prices for Payless car rental are also quite a bit less than the other companies. Does anyone have any recent experience with Payless or the name brand companies (Dollar, Budget, Alamo, Enterprise, etc.)? Thank you in advance!

UMTerpVA

Mentioned in this post
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

Hi- my dad lives near Tampa and we travel thru that airport frequently and get rental cars. You want a co. that is On Site at the airport so you don't have to shuttle off site. You also want to join their "club" so that you get the benefit of NO LINES at rental pick up.

Dollar Car rental- is on site and if you joint their free program, when you get to the counter, there is a special line of NO WAITING for members. It's called Dollar Express. www.dollar.com

Also, Budget car rental has the same service. Their program is called Budget

Fastbreak-- no waiting in lines to get your car. www.budget.com

Both of these programs are free to sign up online. You basically walk straight to the front of the line. And I've seen some LONG lines there.

I'd recommend both of these.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

I've been looking into car rentals in Tampa for my January trip. As usual I find rates are fluctuating. My suggestion is to book something now that is not a pre paid rate so that you can cancel without penalty when you find a lower rate.

I used Payless once or twice in Tampa a few years ago. I don't like shuttling off site and Payless, in my opinion is a step below the others in service. But if there was a significant price difference I would reluctantly go with Payless.

Here's my experience so far. When I booked my flight in November Payless was significantly lower $ 168 total for a mid size for a week. A few weeks later I found Dollar down to $188, so I figured for only a $ 20 difference I would switch to Dollar. A few days ago I remembered an old promo code for Dollar that still works " OOAG " . With the promo code my bottom line is now $153 for a mid size for a week.

You just have to keep checking prices and sooner or later you will catch a sale. I really like Alamo in Tampa and if you join their Insider club (free) you will get a discount on every rental, even if you have a coupon you will get an additional Insider discount.

Based on what I have read on this forum I would rather walk than book with Advantage.

Virginia
Level Contributor
218 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

Thank you greenthum! I will check out both Dollar and Budget.

Virginia
Level Contributor
218 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

Thank you przyk! Good information!

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

Beware of Budget at TPA. TERRIBLE customer service, very very dishonest, and the car was filthy. I had the Costco discount, and I gave the Customer Service Rep the print out with the price, car type, etc. He said, "OK, I have a little bigger car for you." I said that was fine, but he failed to mention that it was AN ADDITIONAL $30/day!! He then proceeded to INSIST that 'everyone' get the insurance, and that I needed to buy their gas. He was quite annoyed when I declined both. And then to top it off, he OVERCHARGED my debit card by over $250. (I read the fine printe and expected the $120 for the car + $200 to be held. He charged it for over $570!) All in all, it worked out, but only because I was paying attention. I wonder how many people they rip off a day.

Virginia
Level Contributor
218 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

Wow! Thank you for the heads up! We are fastbreak members so hopefully we wouldn't have the same problems. Fingers crossed!

UMTerpVA

7. Re: Recent Experience with Tampa Airport Rental Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 31, 2014