We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental cars

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Rental cars

Will be flying into Tampa airport and getting a rental car. Our destination is Madiera beach. Is it possible to leave and arrive at the airport without using a toll road? My concern is paying for a prepaid toll device when we will only be near tolls roads coming & going to the airport. Any advice??

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental cars

Any tolls you're likely to go through still take cash. Some may need exact change so have some quarters handy. If you're a AAA member get a Florida map or buy one when you get here. Toll roads are clearly marked and if you one of the few who can still read a map you can even avoid the toll roads to get to Madeira Beach.

Eau Claire
Level Contributor
10 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental cars

I can read a map and will take your suggestion to get a map from AAA. The rental cars companies charge an outrageous rate per day otherwise I would have no problem paying tolls.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental cars

There is only one cashless toll road in the entire Tampa Bay area. It goes thu downtown Tampa (Selmon Expressway) you should be nowhere near it going to/from Mad Beach. You should hit no tolls at all going TPA to Mad Beach. Only toll you MAY run into is the Pinellas Bayway at the very South tip of the county/St. Pete Beach, well South of Mad Beach, but even it is manned and takes cash. No need to rent that toll device from the rental place.

4. Re: Rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 05, 2013