We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 nights fly drive

Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
7 nights fly drive

We have flights and a hire car booked for 7 nights in February and are just looking to plan our itinerary and hotels. I would be very grateful for any help.

My initial thought is 2 nights in st Petersburg to do the Tampa area, 2 nights in Naples for the Everglades ans 3 nights in Orlando for universal ( we have a teenager with us) and possibly the Kennedy centre.

is this sensible?

Many thanks

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 nights fly drive

Sounds doable to me. Not sure what you want to see/do while in the Tampa area. In the city of Tampa, I would at least see historic Ybor City. It will probably be too cold to swim in the Gulf beaches, but they may be worth a walk on the beach. The Gulf beaches are about 30-45 minutes away from Tampa.

If you let us know what you want to see, we may be able to make hotel suggestions. Note that St. Pete and Clearwater have their own forums if that is where you want to base yourself.

Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 nights fly drive

Thank you for taking the time to reply. We arrive in the evening and my son wants to go to Busch gardens as he loves roller coasters so I thought it would be best to stay somewhere accessible to both. Having read the forums and guidebooks I am not sure if it is worth driving to Naples (3/4 hours?). And them going to the Everglades. I wondering about Sarasota or fort Myers . Would be grateful for any advice .

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 nights fly drive

If you want a taste of the Everglades google Myakka State Park where they do a pontoon boat tour. Myakka is about 9 miles east of Sarasota off hwy 72 so it's not as far as Naples. There is also a restaurant on site where the boat tour meets. You can also walk past the restaurant to where the board walks are and maybe see some alligators.

It's $6/car to go into Myakka.

Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 nights fly drive

Thank you. I have googled and think this would be a great idea! So I am currently thinking two nights in Tampa to take in Busch gardens then a trip to somewhere south (Sarasota, Sanibel, fort Myers? - any help appreciated). Then 3 nights Orlando.

Any views/ advice on this greatly appreciated .

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 nights fly drive

Sarasota is nice - good shopping and nice beaches (Siesta Key, Lido Key). I'd post in Sarasota forums for more info.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 nights fly drive

Lido Key is not as spread out as Siesta Key. Get a Gulf facing room at the Holiday Inn there and watch the dolphins go by while sitting on the balcony in the morning. Walk to the shops/restaurants/bars on St. Armands Circle. Visit historic downtown Sarasota about 3 miles on the mainland and the Mote Marine Aquarium less than a mile at the northern end of Lido.

You could also do the Myakka visit from Lido.

Edited: 6:05 pm, September 25, 2012
Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 nights fly drive

Many thanks for all the help.I am going to take the advice and book the holiday inn in lido key.

Is anyone able to offer advice on a Tampa hotel?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 nights fly drive

For Tampa you might want to stay in striking distance of the Channelside area which has shops restaurants and a unique place called Splitsville which is a family style bowling alley/restaurant/bar The Tampa Aquarium is in walking distance from Channelside. The hotels nearby are Marriott Waterside, Embassy Suites Convention Center and Westin Harbor Island, all in spitting distance of each other and a mile west of Channelside.

Then about 1.5 miles north of Channelside there is an old cuban town called Ybor City which is a popular night spot and also enjoyable for a daytime stroll along it's one main street, 7th Ave where there is the popular Columbia restaurant that has flamenco dancing at dinner time, and a Greek restaurant, the Acropolis that has belly dancing at dinner time.

Adjoining Ybor City are two hotels, Hilton Garden Inn, and Hampton Inn.

And to get around there's a streetcar that runs from Ybor City right past the Aquarium, Channelside and the Embassy Suites.

On Harbor Island there's also a very popular restaurant called Jackson's Bistro with seating overlooking Tampa Bay.

Hope that meets your needs.

Glos
Level Contributor
91 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 nights fly drive

Just to say thank you to AhHah and fsufan for all your help. It makes a real difference to be given help and advice when you are coming from another country and have never visited an area before - so thank you!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 nights fly drive

One other thought ... in February the weather could be quite nippy (for us locals anyway) so you may want to travel with at least a light coat.

Edited: 5:46 pm, October 01, 2012