We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Tampa Neighborhood Descriptions

North East
2 posts
South Tampa Neighborhood Descriptions

We are planning to move to Tampa and have decided to select a more "urban" lifestyle that South Tampa seems to offer. The minimal commute to downtown plus access to restaurants and shopping has sold us.

We would greatly appreciate an HONEST and STRAIGHT UP description of the South Tampa neighborhoods. It seems that the local realtor websites love every neighborhood so it makes it difficult to discern the true differences. We understand the need to not upset a neghborhood but a little more detail would be helpful. We actually have a realtor too but we would love to hear from other locals!

We are open to all possibilities and just want to have real perspectives so that we can make a more informed decision.

Here is a little about us, our current understanding, and our preferences:

-We have one child

-Will work downtown

-Lover eating out and entertaining

-Plant High School seems great

-We value safety..extremely important

-We prefer 4 bedrooms/2 baths

-Location important

-Would sacrifice size for location

-Consistent and nice neighborhoods

-Landscaping/Old trees

-3000 sq. ft. homes

-From realtor.com pricing we understand the price points and we can (very fortunately) afford S. Tampa

-"Fixer uppers" we can do if consistent with developing neighborhoods and areas

-New construction not needed

-Older homes re-modeled with great architecture/detail preferred

-Quality over quantity

-We are Value Oriented versus Snob Appeal and appreciate a "more desirable" neighborhood for re-sale.

-We are not big fans of snob appeal only.

Many thanks in advance for all comments.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: South Tampa Neighborhood Descriptions

A few choices and honest opinions..I live in Sunset Park, a section off Westshore Blvd in South Tampa. Beach Park has many waterfront homes on Tampa Bay, some as old as the 30's and 40's, some as new as this year. A great neighborhood with manhy families and established professional. Culbreath Key and Culbreath Isles(the later gated), are very nice homes. Sunset Park is just south, and again older homes, with newer most over 3000 sq feet. Young professional families.

Then there is East of Dale Mabry Highway. From the South you have Bayshore Beautiful, older homes, stately oaks, brick streets. MacDill Ave has numerous shops, restaurants, bakeries, etc. to walk to, and of course there is Bayshore Blvd. Again, many professionals.

Then there is Palma Ceia, mixture of millionaire homes, with middle class..some brick roads, but more congested, I feel. Hyde Park is just north, Howard Avenue boasting most retail, shops, restaurants, entertainment(SOHO district).

Davis Islands is one of my favorites, very "neighborhoodish" with a main street of shops, restaurants, entertainment, they are islands so water surrounds you everywhere, great views of downtown, as you are .05 miles from the center of downtown. Considering all your options I would choose Davis Islands, then Hyde Park(historic area from Swann Ave/Bayshore Blvd/Howard Ave boundaries, then Bayshore Beautiful areas.

If brand new is what you may be interested in, there is numerous building going on off of Westshore Blvd, south of Gandy(Westshore Yacht Club and New Port Tampa Bay).

A few sites, www.tbo.com has a great relocation section, and www.tampabaymetro.com and tampasdowntown.com also explains the different areas.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, Ive lived in Hyde Park, Palma Ceia, and now Sunset park, all South Tampa over the past 18 years(originnaly from long Island)

North East
2 posts
2. Re: South Tampa Neighborhood Descriptions

Tampan-

Thank you for your timely and thoughtful response. We really appreciate your help and you are providing a wonderful service to all forum members.

Thank you also for your offer of additional help as I am sure we will need it!

Talk to you soon.

Tampa, Florida
1 post
1 review
3. Re: South Tampa Neighborhood Descriptions

Hi,

You're absolutely right about those realtor websites! I've lived in South Tampa for about 10 years in the Hyde Park and Parkland Estates neighborhoods. Parkland is wonderful - it's walking distance to Howard (SoHo) and all of its restaurants. The yards are bigger and the architecture is more diverse than Hyde Park (plus it's a little cheaper.) We shared one car even after having our first child so it's definitely "urban" - we walked to the park, the grocery store, restaurants, the preschool, etc. I'm also impressed with Davis Islands. Hyde Park is great but a little pricey. Bayshore Beautiful, Beach Park, Sunset Park, Palma Ceia - all are great neighborhoods but be aware of two things. One, find out exactly what schools you are zoned for. Even if your kid winds up private this affects resale value. There are lots of good elementary schools in South Tampa - Mitchell and Gorrie in particular are great. The "great" schools for later years are Wilson (middle) and Plant (high.) Some parts of Bayshore Beautiful are not zoned for Plant. Also, these neighborhoods may mean that you have to use your car to get to a restaurant or the closest Starbucks (but you won't have to travel far!) Good luck with your search. You'll love it here!

Tampa
1 post
4. Re: South Tampa Neighborhood Descriptions

We have only lived in Tampa for a year, but we are thrilled to have picked Davis Islands as a location. There is quite a variety of housing styles and price ranges, and the entire attitude is extremely laid back and friendly. There are lots of trees and other tropical plantlife, and much of the landscaping is quite meticulous, and the homes well-kept.

The Village is actually quite a find, with banks, professional offices, and a great variety of restaurants all within two blocks. I strongly recommend the newly-opened Caprice (www.dibistro.com). The nearest supermarket is two minutes across the bridge toward downtown. And even though I work in Clearwater, the 20-mile commute takes less than 30 minutes (at least in the morning).

The neighborhood is extremely safe (usually with only a handful of minor police calls in a month) and is in the Gorrie/Plant district. Tampa General Hospital is at the entrance to the island, as are Marjorie Park's athletic fields and swimming pool. The Seddon Channel walk offers a great view of fireworks celebrations over Channelside, as well as the regular Carnival cruise ships.

A great deal of information about the neighborhood is available at the Neighborhood Task Force Site at www.dineighborhoodplan.org/index.php. (In the interest of full disclosure, my husband is currently involved in writing the neighborhood plan.)

Even though the lease will be up soon on our current rental, we are strongly motivated to relocate on the Islands, if at all possible.

To be fair, many of the neighborhoods of South Tampa between Kennedy and Gandy are quite nice, as well. Still, we prefer the quiet of the Islands (and there is something to be said for being off the beaten path). And I can think of no place more convenient for downtown, without going to condo towers.

I encourage you to investigate these city and county websites, as well, as they have a great deal of useful information, including tax and housing records:

www.tampagov.net

www.hcpafl.org/www/index.shtml

Limiting property searches to the 33606 ZIP code will cover Davis Islands and much of Hyde Park.

Best of luck with your relocation.

OO
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
727 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: South Tampa Neighborhood Descriptions

Look at New Suburb Beautiful too in South Tampa, just west of Howard, south of Swann and east of McDill. Of all the neighborhoods mentioned, that is probably my favorite for housing styles and character. It's almost like a trip into New England.

Whereas Beach Park has a lot of teardowns, rebuild big and new, New Suburb Beautiful has retained its soul. Next best would be Hyde Park and Parkland...lovely old homes, again without all the teardowns rebuilds.