We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When is the best time to buy flights?

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
451 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
When is the best time to buy flights?

Hi-- Looking to travel from STL to TPA in June. When is the best time to buy? I prefer Southwest, does anyone have any promo codes or coupons? Looking for any suggestions. We are a family a four traveling with my mom. So airfare gets a bit pricey. So looking for deals.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,449 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

Go to southwest.com and sign up for e mail notification of fare sales. It may be too early for June sales. I usually go first to cheaptickets.com for other than Southwest airfare pricing, but I think expedia, kayak and all of them are about the same.

Remember Southwest loves your luggage, so if you are traveling heavy like most families do most other airlines will charge you for checked luggage.

Also Frontier (don't know if you have them in St Louis) is now flying into PIE, Clearwater-St Pete airport. You can always look for cheaper fares to that alternative airport.

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
451 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

Yeah I am already signed up for alert. Right now looks like sales go through end of May. And have already checked other airlines prices and with checked luggage comes out the same as SW or more expensive.

I have had good experiences with SW, unlike some of the other airlines. But if anyone has some good deals please share:) Willing to try other things. Thanks!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

I just bought tickets from STL to Tampa from Southwest. I found a web deal for about $300 a ticket for a direct flight. Prices from other sites are cheaper but there are no direct flights.

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
451 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

When are you going to Tampa? We are going in June and I am finding them for $330 straight flight right now.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

Hi, sorry i haven't gotten back to you sooner. i found them a few weeks ago and it was the gotta get away special i think - $127 one way. not sure if they still have it. i am going at the beginning of march, so maybe that is why i got it. super nice because it's a direct flight.

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
451 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

Yeah I would love to find a deal like that, but no such luck for June yet....

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

$330 isn't much more than what I paid really. Maybe because it's prime time, they aren't any less. It just seems like everywhere I go, STL offers no direct flights and that's such a pain.

Dardenne Prairie...
Level Contributor
451 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

They are up more now:(

9. Re: When is the best time to buy flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:44 pm, February 22, 2012