We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport area hotels safe? Ybor?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Airport area hotels safe? Ybor?

Planning a trip to Tampa for the Outback Bowl. I know the Ybor area is the hot spot, but hotels are basically booked up for the New Year's weekend. Are there any good hotels, moderately priced, near Ybor (downtown?) that are safe?

How about the airport area? I noticed the stadium is right by the airport, which would make it very convenient to fly in, get to the hotel, and then the game. Is that area safe? Is that close to the Ybor area?

Basically I have no prior knowledge about Tampa, just trying to find out the safe areas and the distance between everything.

Thanks!

York, PA
Level Contributor
788 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport area hotels safe? Ybor?

You might want to check out the Courtyard by Marriott in downtown Tampa. I believe it is only about a mile from the hotel Ybor City. There is also a Hilton Garden Inn in that same area that I would recommend (if there are any rooms left). Either one would be a good choice.

If you don't have any luck finding a room in that area, I would suggest trying the Holiday Inn Express on North Rocky Point Dr, which is two miles from the airport. It is a very nice hotel that I am sure that you would enjoy staying at. Best of all, the hotel offers a free continental breakfast each morning, most likely with the delicious cinnamon rolls that a lot of HIE's serve and are well known for. FYI-the hotel is located 4.25 miles from the stadium.

York, PA
Level Contributor
788 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport area hotels safe? Ybor?

I just wanted to mention that I intended to say that Ybor City is located about a mile away from the Courtyard by Marriott.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport area hotels safe? Ybor?

pearlbob, the hotels closest to ybor would be downtown options(marriott waterside, courtyard, residence inn, hyatt, wyndham harbor island and sheraton riverwalk) which are all about 1 mile from ybor and 5 miles to the stadium.

The westshore district is very close to the stadium just outside the airport and safe, about 5 miles from ybor and 1.5 miles to the stadium.(marriott westshore, springhill suites, residence inn, hilton, rennaisaince, embassy suites, doubletree)

In Ybor, also check the Don Vincente Inn and Hampton Inn and Suites.

New Years with the Outback Bowl is a VERY busy time in Tampa.

I hope this helps!

4. Re: Airport area hotels safe? Ybor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 pm, December 06, 2005
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport area hotels safe? Ybor?

Book very quickly now that teams have been announced as it will be difficult to find a room. Iowa had a huge following in '04 staying particularly in the Westshore area. Downtown hotels listed by 'tampan' will work. A trolley runs from the Marriott Waterside hotel over to Ybor City (8 minute trip) for a couple bucks. The trolley runs past the Channelside district of bars and restaurants that new and popular.

If downtown, Westshore and the Airport are all booked up, the Busch Gardens/USF/North Tampa may offer great deals and availability. While you may be 10-15 miles away, the hotels cater to business travellers during the week and would love your business over the weekend. Also, this area is easily accessible to I-75, I-4, Selmon Crosstown Expressway and I-275 if you rent a car.

All public areas by airport and stadium are safe (Tampa is quite safe). Ybor City has fringes over a couple blocks from the strip that are shady late at night. The main 7th Avenue strip has heavy police presence at nights (daytimes are laid back and safe), so there is rarely a problem publicized in the media. But there are rare gang fights/drug deals gone bad that make the news, but mayor has made safety a priority and I believe this is true based on numerous weekends spent in Ybor. Good Luck.