We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the area around USF really that bad to live in???

new york
1 post
Save Topic
Is the area around USF really that bad to live in???

can some people who live in tampa tell me if the area , im not sure of what its name is , the area around usf and university mall , is it really that bad.?? i am looking to move into an apartment in that area so i want to know if its bad

St.Petersburg...
Level Contributor
168 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the area around USF really that bad to live in???

I went to USF in the late 80's and early 90's. The area around the school was informally called "suitcase city". It didn't have a good rep back then for good reason. We lived in a complex on Fletcher for 6 mos. When our lease was up, we got a place in St. Pete and commuted!! I know that in recent years many of the complexes have put in security gates, so you'll want a more recent opinion! There are many nice areas in Tampa that would not be a far commute if you end up not liking the area. USF is an AWESOME school! Go Bulls!! You may want to check out TBO.com. They have a crime tracker link that may give you an idea how the area is now. There are some frequent posters to this site from Tampa ( Tampan being one that comes to mind) that will be able to give you current info. Good Luck!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the area around USF really that bad to live in???

I went to USF from 87-92...the area around the mall was and still can be kind of skecthy...many transients in that area...

the best areas to live near the school are east of bruce b downs blvd, and north of fletcher ave(behind the school and to the east...(Tampa Palms, Temple Terrace)...

new york
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the area around USF really that bad to live in???

great school but the area does not have the best reputation. Stay away from, around, near, or by Nebraska Ave..........drugs, prostitutes,you get the idea. Also the area around busch gardens leaves a lot to be desired.I am not asking you your business but if you are a single female I would STRONGLY encourage you to look in other areas that would be safer for you. My daughter lives in Tampa (21 female) and we went down to look at places because she got a job at Busch and I said....and this is a mommy quote " there is no way in hell that you are living around here"! She found a secure gated community off of dale mabrey close to carrollwood that worked real well for her. I wish you luck..........another new yorker from upstate

new york
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the area around USF really that bad to live in???

great school but the area does not have the best reputation. Stay away from, around, near, or by Nebraska Ave..........drugs, prostitutes,you get the idea. Also the area around busch gardens leaves a lot to be desired.I am not asking you your business but if you are a single female I would STRONGLY encourage you to look in other areas that would be safer for you. My daughter lives in Tampa (21 female) and we went down to look at places because she got a job at Busch and I said....and this is a mommy quote " there is no way in hell that you are living around here"! She found a secure gated community off of dale mabrey close to carrollwood that worked real well for her. I wish you luck..........another new yorker from upstate

Tampa
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the area around USF really that bad to live in???

I would def. stay away from that area.... it has gone downhill in the past few years.. try something 3-4 miles north on BBD, or in Carrollwood...