We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations on beach??

Which Tampa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodations on beach??

Hi;

I was wondering if you could suggest a good hotel with ocean view in Tampa. We have never been there but have been looking online at some of the properties. We really want to be on the beach but all the hotels rated high in TA don't seem like they are close to the water. Is end of Feb/early March too cold for the beach? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of accommodations we should look into that will have us on the beach? Also, how is the shopping in Tampa, as I will be very interested in doing some of that on my vacation.

Thanks!

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
254 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations on beach??

I think Tampa is situated more on the bay. If you wanted something overlooking the Gulf Of Mexico you would be better off staying in Saint Petersburg or Clearwater which are close to Tampa.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations on beach??

There are no beaches in Tampa and no hotel in Tampa that will give you an ocean view. As the other person said, you have to go to Clearwater Beach (adjoins Clearwater) or St. Petersburg Beach (adjoins St. Petersburg). Both are about 30 minutes away from Tampa airport.

Feb/Mar is too early for the Gulf water to have warmed up enough for any locals to want to go in.

Is there a particular reason you want to be in or near Tampa? Sorry, I don't know how shopping compares to what you have in NS.

Read the messages in the Clearwater and St. Petersburg Beach forums to get an idea for places to stay.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations on beach??

There is an area between Tampa and Clearwater called Rocky Point -- it's on the Tampa side of the northern end of Tampa Bay, and adjacent to the airport. There are several hotels there that would at least have views of the water. People swim from those beaches, but they're not as nice as the beaches in Clearwater and St. Pete.

"too cold" depends on your definition of cold!

For you folks that far north (I promise no Newfie jokes!) -- you'll likely find the water just fine -- it will be likely in the 60-65°F range (15-20°C) -- FAR too cold for me, but you might not mind it.

The days will likely be in the 70's F (20's C), with the nights in the 50's F (10ish C) -- so not tropical, but a far sight warmer than NS at that time of year.

You'll have no problems finding shopping -- also adjacent to the airport are Westshore Plaza and International Plaza malls, and only a few miles away you'll find Citrus Park Mall.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations on beach??

Thanks so much to everyone for responding to my inquiry. Alot of useful info that we will take into consideration when booking our next trip. I grew up on the coast of Nfld, swimming in the cold, North Atlantic current (maybe the hottest it was would be 15 degrees C in mid summer) so your waters should be like a bathtub for me (lol). Thanks again!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations on beach??

If you want to stay in Tampa and have views of the water, there is a few hotels on Rocky Point as the above poster mentioned(Sailport resort, Double Tree Suites, CHase Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt Westshore) They are all on Tampa Bay, although a large Bay, it is not the Ocean.

Shopping can be found at International Plaza, Westshore Plaza, Hyde Park VIllage, and Ybor City for some funcky shops.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
140 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodations on beach??

If you are staying for an extended time (5 days or so), you should consider renting a condo on the beach. It may be cheaper and will open up more options. My family stays in the Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Madiera Beach, Redington Beach area (about 30 minutes drive from the airport). I don't know of hotels on these beaches, but they offer condos. If you only look at hotels, you'll be restricted to larger cities which usually means more crowded beaches.

In your search, be aware that "gulf view" may mean something different from "gulf front" (a "gulf view" balcony may be on the side of the building). We usuallly try to rent a corner unit condo with a gulf front wrap balcony - difficult to find but so worth it! And, if it's on the top floor, sometimes the pelicans fly by right at eye level.

I'm heading down in a week and I can't wait!

Julie

7. Re: Accommodations on beach??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:27 am, September 07, 2009