We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break for nice kids?

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break for nice kids?

Is Tampa a good area for a few days of spring break in March for two 18 year old girls? My daughter and a friend would like a few days of sun. They aren't partiers and I am looking into Disney World, but all on site resorts are filled. Still...It is a possibility.

The girls won't have transport... So I am looking for somewhere near Busch Gardens that has shuttle services and shuttle to and from airport.....

Any rec's or other suggestions or am I just barking up the wrong tree here?

Thanks,

Voy

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
23 reviews
from $98.99*
Busch Gardens and Alafia River...
1 review
from $154.99*
Special Offer
Aquatica Orlando
9 reviews
from $56.99*
$69.88
Tampa Bay Sunset Helicopter Tour
1 review
from $158.99*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break for nice kids?

Surprised to hear WDW resorts have filled up. There was availability at Pop Century and at Caribbean Beach just a day or so ago. Would be nice for them to have transportation from the airport and within / between Disney properties as well. Caribbean Beach would also provide them a sense of having a "beach" vacation blended with all the rest Disney has to offer.

When are they coming and for how many days?

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break for nice kids?

GrandmaMac,

I checked with WDW themselves for availabilty there and they said they had nothing. The Pop was just the kind of thing I was looking for. Do you have suggestions on other resources to find out about Disney hotels?

They will be arriving March 11, checking out March 14, for a 3 night stay.

Some specials on Orlando lodging on travelzoo and hotwire I am looking into.

I have been to Tampa once, went to Busch Gardens....not sure it is the right kind of place for the gals.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break for nice kids?

Voyagereuse:

I checked both Orbitz and Travelocity (didn't get to Expedia) and found that you are right...both showing no vacancy at WDW value or moderate resorts. The higher end resorts have availability but the prices are stunning!!

Just food for thought...I remember when my girls were teens (I raised 6 children) and their safety was a prime concern. For that reason, I wonder if your girls might have a very good time at Disneyworld while staying at (what I perceive to be) a "non-party or less party" place very near Disney and with shuttle service to the parks.

There is availability at the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista for $130 / $170/$170 per night (the higher rates indicate the start of "spring break" season.) Lovely place that includes hot breakfast and shuttle to resorts. Another option would be the Holiday Inn Express Lake Buena Vista at $126 per night. Includes continental breakfast and shuttle to Epcot from where they would have to transfer for other Disney Parks. Lovely pool there as well.

Neither of these includes airport transfers so either Mears transportation or a cab ride would be additional.

Just a couple of ideas. Good Luck with your planning!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break for nice kids?

P.S. If you look further into either of these, I would book through the website of the chains rather than through a travel site. Much easier to deal with if for some reason you would have to make a change or a cancellation.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break for nice kids?

Busch Gardens can be done in 1 day and Adventure Island next door in 1 day, I think the girls would probably be bored going any more times than that. The area around Busch Gardens doesn't really have much else to do.

Otherwise, maybe a beach hotel in Clearwater or St. Pete? Are these girls in college or high school still? The beach does seem to have kind of a "party" atmosphere though, so Disney World area does sound like a better option.

BTW, I recognize your name from the NYC forum! I have a trip planned in June and have been researching on there. You have tons of helpful advice :)

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break for nice kids?

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I think we will go with Disney as there is more to do there. So it's back to the Orlando board for me. If I can ever help with your NYC questions let me know!!

Happy trails,

Voy

7. Re: Spring Break for nice kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 21, 2009