We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
805 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

Well - I just arrived for my convention starting tomorrow. And I realize (or so it seems) that there are NO restaurants within walking distance except for the ones in the surrounding hotels. Is this so? Of the restaurants I'm stuck with - what are you recommendations? I know there's the trolley to Channelside and Ybor city, but that's tough to do when you only have an hour for lunch.

Although on the subject of dinner - what are people's favorites in Channelside and Ybor? We're a bunch of foodies and love good (but not necessarily expensive) food. Also, the folks I'm with are real wine lovers if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

-dragon

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

go to www.tampasdowntown.com for list of all eateries downtown. My favs are Thai Corner next to Tampa Theater, Hattricks on Franklin for lunch, Fly on Franklin small plates, SPAIN has a great lunch buffet, First Watch does an excellent breakfast, Jackson's on Harbour Island; Cafe Dufrain has good wine lists.

In Channelside, check out Stumps Supper Club for good southern/bbq, or Grille 29 for seafood/steaks. In Ybor, Columbia for Spainsh/Cuban, Laughing Cat for Italian, Acropolis for Greek.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

Also in Ybor City is Carmine's on 7th Ave. At Ybor Square, Spaghetti Warehouse it is a national change but reasonable prices.

There is also the In-Town Trolley, actually a small bus that looks like a trolley that circulates thru the downtown area and also one route goes to Hyde Park Village area, another section of town where there are some restaurants.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

For dinner, the wine lovers should check out Bern's Steakhouse on Howard Ave. It has been featured in Wine Spectator magazine, I believe. A less pricey option would be the Wine Exchange in Old Hyde Park Village.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
805 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

Thanks for all the information! Trouble is I don't know enough about those street names to know what is close or not.

Can you let me know which of the above suggestions are walkable from the CC? I consider Channelside to be the limit of walkable. (We tried Tina's the other night and thought it was fair at best.)

Thanks!

-dragon

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

Cafe Dufrain and Jackson's are just over the Harbour Island bridge(adjacent to the CC).

SPAIN is on Tampa Street which is left on Franklin, then left on Whiting, then right on Tampa St.(great lunch buffet and specials)

HATTRICKS is on Franklin just north of the CC(great lunch, roast pork sandwhichs)

FLY is on Franklin Ave about 12 blocks north of CC.

THAI CORNER is on the way to FLY on Franklin Ave.

THE OFFICE I have heard is good for lunch(also on Franklin)

You should get a IN -Town Trolley map, there is a convenient trolley system that takes you throughout downtown/Hyde Park/Channelside/Harbour Island. Ask someone at the CC or your hotel.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
805 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

Great information - thank you so much!

Once again, TripAdvisor saves the day! :-)

-dragon

7. Re: Help! Trapped at the Convention Center!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 23, 2009