We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

possible relocation--Help!

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Topic
possible relocation--Help!

Hello! My husband and I (29 & 31) may possibly be relocating to the Tallahassee area from OKC. We don't have children, so school systems aren't the top concerns, but I was wondering what areas of the town we should look at. We prefer older houses, with character and being right in the middle of "stuff". IE--not a suburb. Also, how much can we expect to pay for a 4 BR 2-3 Bath house with pool? Will $400,000 be enough? Can we get that for $250,00 or $300,00

I'd appreciate any help out there! Thanks. Also, we would like to purchase a small home or condo on a beach for weekends. I know that Appalachicola isn't a beach. Are Mexico Beach or St. Joe's the closest?

Thanks again!

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: possible relocation--Help!

that's plenty of money. GO to www.realtor.com and start looking

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: possible relocation--Help!

oh, I forgot to reply to the second section about the beaches. We have a small place in St. Joe Beach, I just paid $225 K for it and I got to tell you its a crapy mobile home. You will not get close to the beach for under $250 K at this point. The closest beach may be St marks Beach in Wakulla Co but there is not much of a beach, same with Carbelle but it is better. St. George (very pricey) has a really nice beach, none in Apalachicola. Indian Pass and Cape san blass are nice but Most start at $500 K then St. Joe Beach as mentioned and Mexico beach which are really beautiful but like I said have already started to escalate in price, even for the land. Try realtor.com, visit the places.

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: possible relocation--Help!

Wow! I had no idea that the prices in St. Joe and MB has escalated. I thought it was really affordable. (I did see St. George's prices and that's a "little" out of our range for a second home)

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: possible relocation--Help!

When we first started visiting the area 3 yrs ago the prices were really "cheap" like gulf front lots at $450 k, now just 3 yrs later they are well into the millions. That is why I bought now, 3 yrs later my shack most likley will be near 500K

tallahassee
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: possible relocation--Help!

hi, i was browsing, looking for jazz groups playing tonight and came across your post. i have a house just like what you are looking for, and yes, it is very affordable. it even has a huge, screened porch and full basement which is rare but great during the storms. about an acre close to downtown,heavily wooded, large, nice, amazing character and charm, but updated. the whole house from top to bottom was renovated last year. it hasn't been for sale, but i have been considering selling it for some months ...

as for beach places, i would look online at alligator point, st. george island, cape san blas, navarre beach. these are considered the best and are in different price ranges.

you will enjoy life here. people are very kind and helpful!

if you want to contact me, i am at pepenelisewolff@aol.com.

sincerely,

e. wolff

tallahassee
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: possible relocation--Help!

tallahassee really doesn't have much going on - but, the downtown/midtown area is certainly the most active of any - you can choose to live in the lafayette park area, new downtown condo's or one of the small old neighborhoods - depending what you want you could pay anywhere from $200 k to $500 k in this area - the suburbs offer no culture so i suggest looking around midtown

as for costal property, there is no more "cheap" property unless you travel far east like the pannacea area which is not developed yet - the coast is not as beautiful as farther west, but it is still nice and very close to tallahassee - about 45 min. drive

good luck and enjoy tallahassee

i hope you like a laid back southern town

thanks - www.johnparkerart.com

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: possible relocation--Help!

eek! Please help me better understand a couple of things...

Where is the "undeveloped far east property"? I'm not incredibly familiar with this area, having spent most of my time in Florida around the Tampa/St. Pete area. W love art and music festivals, etc.

By "not much going on" do you mean no resaurants, museums or live music? I'm def. NOT interested in a suburb, I think.

Also, help me understand "laid back, southern town." I AM from Oklahoma City, which is pretty southern thinking (read conservative, christian values), but there is still good growth going on here. We're very open-minded, accepting people (kind of an anomoly for this area) and I was hoping to move somewhere a little more like minded. We turned down Chicago because of the weather (although a GREAT city) and are leaning more toward Tallahassee than Palm Beach, Orlando or Gainesville which are the other possibilities in Florida.

Help me "see the light!"

Thanks!

Lakeland, Fl
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: possible relocation--Help!

I don't think they meant "laid-back, southern town" quite in the way you expressed it. It's more a way of life than a way of thinking.

Think DEEP South...Mint Juleps on the porch, Azaleas in the yard, howdy stop by and chat a while, no hurry[too warm to get in a hurry.] laid back SOUTHern town. ;)

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: possible relocation--Help!

Thanks Dooner! I do love a good mint julep~!

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: possible relocation--Help!

I thought that you might be interested to know that there is one real estate company that has multiple offices located between Panama City, Tallahassee, and along the coast (including Mexico Beach, St. Joe Beach, Cape San Blas, Apalachicola, St. George Island, and Carrabelle). Anchor Realty & Mortgage Co. can give you information on both areas of your interest.

As for beach location, St. George Island, Carrabelle Beach and Alligator Point are closer to Tallahassee if traveling along the coast on HWY 98.