We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help, please

England
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help, please

Hi,

We are staying for four nights at the Ritz Carlton South Beach, (two adults, two kids, aged 13 and 11). We will be driving from St Pete's, (leaving by 9am), and I'm contemplating arriving at Miami about 4/5pm via a short detour to Sawgrass Mills to avoid a day trip there later in the week. Is this do-able?

We then have three full days in Miami. I'd like to spend one in South Beach, (visiting the beach and maybe do a duck tour). On the other two days, I'm thinking one day trip to the Everglades, maybe another to John Pennenkamp Reef.

On our last day we then have about 5 hours between checking out of the hotel and when we need to be at Miami airport. I'm thinking we could spend this time shopping around South Beach - any suggestions?

How long does it take to drive from South Beach to Miami airport mid afternoon, (we need to check in at 4pm and drop the car off first)?

What do you think? Am I trying to do too much? Any suggestions/advice, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

:)

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help, please

I think trying to fit in Sawgrass AND get to Miami by 4 or 5 is too much. I suspect you would not end up leaving Sawgrass until after 5 or 6. The place is enormous. Think about what you want in terms of this stop (outlet shopping?) and perhaps there is a better way to fit this in.

Instead of Sawgrass, take US 41 over to Miami and fit in your Everglades event. I would make a stop at Clyde Butcher's gallery (check the hours)

www.clydebutcher.com Go to Shark Valley in the National Park and either take the tram or (better!) rent bikes and bike the 14 mile trail. The kids will need bike helmets. They have some rentals but you may want to bring your own. Next stop is one of the airboat rides. Cooperstown gets good review here. Then off ot Miami Beach.

Here's a Keys day trip suggestion. It's really too much in one day but since you have the Everglades out of the way, you should be fine. If you don't want to stay for dinner, have lunch at somewhere like Islamorada Fish Company.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12780-Everglad…

The car rentals are off airport so I would allow 1.5 hours for the trip over, getting lost, drop off and bus to airport.

Last tip - -post on the Miami Beach forum for more MB ideas. This is South Miami, which is a suburb type area of Miami.

Have a great trip.

England
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help, please

Thank you for your response, Keymom. I have just got back and will post a report when I've woken up!

:)

3. Re: Itinerary help, please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 04, 2010
Get answers to your questions about South Miami
More South Miami Topics