We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

Arrived in Siesta Key about 8pm on Wednesday June 5th and right on our tail was Tropical Depression Andrea. Did our bit of shopping and straight to our rental house. The house is fabulous, updated recently and has its own pool. Woke up Thursday morning to very heavy rain and wind. Went down to beach to see the white caps on the waves, there were about 10 people on the beach and the winds were very strong. Went to Wallmart and bought a tracfone and Nuvi 50 and now let the vacation begin. In our 10 days so far we have driven to Sarasota, Anna Marie Island, Longboat Key and Lido Key and of course Armand's Circle. I have to say we fell in love with Siesta Key and am delighted with our choice.

So far we have eaten at:

Old Salty Dog--------good

The Hub (Bajha Grill)------excellent

SKOB-----Very Good

Gilligans--------- only ok--portions small and they need to give a good clean to the Ladies Toilet

The Broken Egg-----very good-----we only had one breakfast out and it was at The Broken Egg.

Applebees------very good

Trying to alternate BBQ and eating out

We had a few drinks in the following bars

Daquiri Deck-----slushie cocktail-----good but watch for brain freeze

BluQue----ok----you can smoke in the back bar if you are a smoker

The Cottage----good

It has been very hot and humid, temps in the high 30s C mid 90s F and the real feel is higher.

We decided to walk to the village one evening it is less than a mile but did we sweat!!!!!

Went to Daytona Speedway for a day, the other half did 8 laps in a race car, he loved it.

The beaches are as beautiful as everyone has stated here on trip advisor.

You would definately need a car here if you want to see other places around you, if not you have Johnnys Free Rides, only cost is tip. It is the first time we have stayed in a house (villa) and would definately do it again. The privacy and relaxation is not at all comparable to a hotel.

Hope this report is helpful to you and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask. I have still have 7 more days and nights in this beautiful Island and I will be back later with trip report 2.

Nora

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

Also fogot to mention that we went to Clearwater and Sand Key for a day, it seemed so busy compared to Siesta Key. Also forgot to mention that there is live music at all the placs I mentioned except the Old Salty Dog, but music finishes about 10pm and places close when they get quiet.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
198 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

Glad you are enjoying your visit. I'm taking lots of notes as my DH & I will be visiting for our 1st time in March. We are also interested in visiting AMI while there how long is the drive? Thanks for the tips on dining & drinking it seems Gilligans is not rated very high. I have put The Hub & SKOB on our list of places to try

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

nmblover08, Anna Maria is about a 50 minute drive from Siesta Key. You will get to see Longboat key & Lido Key and Armands Circle as well. Had the half rack of ribs at The Hub....fabulous!!!!

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
198 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

Thank you msnora! It does sound like it would be a beautiful ride through all those Keys. We will have to drag ourselves away from the beach since we will only be there 7 days. Maybe we'll do a drive to try one of the restaurants on AMI for dinner since Ive read there are some lovely restaurants on the beach there. Enjoy the remainder of your vacation at Siesta Key. Cant wait to read Part 2!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

Hi Nora

Can I ask you some info on your rental house. Where did you rent from and if you are able to give me the cost,that would be just great.

Keep us updated and have a lovely time!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

ppmaiden... I Sent you a private message just in case I got blocked for advertising. I booked the house on the blind and took a chance. Hope my info helps.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

Great report msnora, we are now down to counting hours and minutes!!!

Late 30's sounds HOT. Does it look like it'll stay that hot for the rest of your stay or is that level of heat related to Andrea?

With restaurants closing at 10/10.30ish, is there a good time to get down for something to eat when the place has a buzz to it?

Can you generally get a seat in the restaurants or do you have to wait for seats to become available?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
255 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

So far we did not have to wait any night for seating. SKOB seems to be the busiest. I would say around 7 to 8pm seems to be a good time. About the weather......It seems to be normal temperature here, it hit 100 F 38 C today, humidity seems to be very high but all restaurants and bars have either fans or AC so it is ok. Believe it or not you just get used to it. Music is excellent in the bars/restaurants.

New York City, New...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

Would also love info on your rental--we're looking for a place for next March with 2 small kids.

Thanks!

-Ali

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,383 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report (Part 1) June 5th-June 15th

March is high season and the rates are the highest...Spring Break.

What type of accomodations are you looking for. how long will you stay, how many bedrooms and how much do you want to spend per night/week?

There are many options if you are staying for 1 week or more...With small children you should be close to the beach, if affordable.

~SRQgirl