We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

Surrey
Level Contributor
117 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

Hi all

We have decided on Siesta Key for our family's introduction to the US. The kids aged 13 and 8 have not been out of Europe so it is very exciting. Neither have we adults been to the States so equally excited.

I have read the forum for a few days to get a feel for the area, the DE replies are SO helpful, thank you.

A couple of quick questions to guide me through the accommodation maze. I see most accomodation can be rented for 1 week minumum, does this mean that many will rent for 10 or 11 days or do they usually want week blocks?

We are still deciding whether to split weeks in Orlando and Siesta Keys or split say 3 days Orlando and 10 days Siesta Keys.

We have yet to set a budget so when I have researched more I will set a realistic one for Spring Break time!

UK schools Easter holiday is 29th March to 14th April so that's when we will be coming. Looking up Spring Break most schools break from the 2nd through to the 25th. Is it still as busy after the 25th into April?

Will we struggle to find accomodation even now?

Thank in advance

GT

Edited: 5:45 am, September 11, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,024 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

A budget is a good idea since there are many accomodations to choose from.

Some rates drop after May 1 when Spring Break is over.

Some places will rent in less than 1 week blocks.

The UK school holiday dates you provided are a very busy time here in FL.

How many bedrooms do you need? 2 bedrooms?

If you are going to Orlando to see Disney/Universal you might need more than 3 days...another decision you should make..do you want to see theme parks and for how long?

The sooner you secure your lodging the better.

www.siestakeychamber.com

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for Siesta Key
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

March 30 - April 6 is the busiest week of the year for 2013. Its a big spring break week and also Easter. Prices will be at a premium and many accommodations will be requiring Sat. to Sat. rentals during that week. Getting 10 days should not be a problem if you are staying beyond April 6, the next week will be alittle less busy. Your wise to start your search early.

Surrey
Level Contributor
117 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

Thank you both. I got onto it quick!

I decided to book a package with a tour operator as flights alone were £1k+ from the UK into Orlando adn seemingly rising every day. We have booked a week in a villa in Kissimmee to do the theme parks and a week in a villa in the Bradenton area.

I decided against staying in Siesta Key itself as we will probably be out and about alot and the cost for staying beachfront would have been uneconomical. We will drive into Siesta Key and the other surrounding areas to experience the little slice of heaven.

Our own pool and games room was a real draw as our kids would get bored of the beach every day.

GT

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Kissimmee
Kissimmee
Central Florida, FL
Bradenton
Bradenton
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
United States
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

Have fun, I love Siesta Key and know the area well. Beware the traffic will be bad getting on and off the island on the busiest week of the year. Also the public beach parking lot which you will have to use fills very quickly on Siesta Key.

Try Long Boat, Anna Maria Island and Lido Key (all one long island really) too. Beaches are not as pristine as Siesta Key but its less congested. The Beach by St Armand's Circle on Lido Key (upscale shopping area) is nice and very large but again get their early for parking. Make sure to go boating or kayaking on the bay or in the mangroves! Enjoy the white sand powder beaches!

Mentioned in this post
Lido Key
Lido Key
Sarasota, FL
Surrey
Level Contributor
117 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

Thank you, that's really helpful, starting to collate all suggestions now

GT

Edited: 4:48 pm, November 08, 2012
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

You will love the area, and after you see the different beach islands you will choose one to come back to such as SK or Anna Maria.

Now that you have picked your accomodation you can get to the serious job of planning. If you chose to do Orlando first, that is one of the BUSIEST weeks of the year so that you really must plan carefully. So go to the orlando forum. If you ae doing it second, you will find things much easier.

For your beach week, the Sarasota and AMI forums will see you get all the info you need.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
7. Re: Spring break 2013 - family of 4 first time to US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, December 15, 2013