We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

My wife and I are in our 50s and are planning a June trip, and have never been to the area before. Siesta Key looks great but so does Anna Maria Island. We aren't really party people but we are looking for a great beach, do some sight seeing, and hit some restaurants. Is one area better than another? Opinions? Does it really matter?

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

Sorry to bother you folks again, just got my answer through the forum search. I probably should have started there? Sorry.

I've got another question now. Which area has the better boogie boarding waves?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

Siesta Key is the #1 beach, according to Dr. Beach. That being said, AMI has beautiful white/soft sand beaches as well. The free trolley on AMI is nice. Also, a few true beachfront restaurants. If you go to Siesta Key you will either have to drive, or stay near the village for close restaurants.

Which ever you go to, make sure you go to Mote Aquarium, and take the Mote boat. Ringling Museum is great and the art museum there is free on Mondays.

Water sports on both islands, including kayaking, paddle boards, boat trips. Bikes available both islands.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

The Gulf is the gulf...not like the waves on the Atlantic.

~SRQgirl

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

They will both have the same basic sea conditions being so close. If there has been a storm in the gulf the waves will get up. Keep your eye ont he local weather once there. One time (amybe 1999 can't remember) the waves were so rough on Turtle beach my hub was tossed while boogie boarding and his wedding ring fell off.

They are two of my very fav places in florida and i love them both. SK has the better beach, but AMI has toes in the sand cafes and restaurants. They are both very nice indeed.

Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

It sounds like the Old Florida ambience of Santa Maria would be more to our liking, but we could always spend time in both places.

Kris, clown museum? I might need alcohol for that one. Clowns creep me out.

Amanx, your husband lost his wedding band in the surf? Hmmmm...how convenient.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

Anna Maria Island is much more Olde Florida as far as ambiance.

Siesta Key is about 28 miles south...takes about 50-60 minutes depending on traffic.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,102 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

Not convenient at all. he and my eldest son (young at the time) got sunburn on their backs trying to find it. It was early april and the water wasn't bathtub warm and you know how things shrink when they get cold ;-) Then I had to pay to replace it lol. Was a fun day up til then, but it got expensive real soon.

But back to the two islands. you'll be happy on either (as long as you can find Anna Maria rather than Santa Maria lol).

I find the drive faster, but then again I am not usually there in high season apt from Easter week. Driving from AMI to Lido key didn't take that long in October the last time I drove that stretch (ie to ge to the Mote- SK will be a little further and you have to go onto the mainland). It is a nice drive.

given I live south of there and visit both regularly i think you can visit either if you are staying on the other. And yes, clowns can be creapy but go on- give it a go lol.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

So much more than clowns! Worth a visit.

9. Re: Siesta Key vs Anna Maria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, February 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key
Recent Conversations