We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

article on fake hotel reviews

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
142 reviews
article on fake hotel reviews

Budget Travel magazine published this article about Tripadvisor hotel reviews:

…newsweek.com/budgettravel/…

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: article on fake hotel reviews

That's a good post SRQgirl. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting, I think it says what we already suspect. My feeling is that you can pretty much tell when a review is fabricated or when its sincere.

The experts who make the claim are often times guilty of being nonobjective in many cases and even employ great hubris in others.

After all , Frommers opinion is Frommers opinion - that's it. You either agree with him or you don't. You believe in his palate or you don't.

siesta key
Level Contributor
82 posts
2. Re: article on fake hotel reviews

I believe most people take everything with a grain of salt. Most people give their honest opinions and you have the very few that are trying to pump business. It is what it is, but if you research a particular area or location you can easily get enough unbiased reviews to help make an educated decision.

i for one love trip advisor and the way things are done. They have the Flip Key thing for individual reviews on properties (in our neck of the woods mostly vacation rentals). Those are people that stayed and were kind enough to post a review. you kind of get the best of both worlds.

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: article on fake hotel reviews

T think most travelers will respond with a real review of their own when they are lead to rent an accommodation where the reviews are not reflective of what they experienced. We have always used the reviews as a guide of what we can expect and have never been led astray, not that there isn't a first time for everything. Here is a new slant from the Wall Street Journal on gouging the traveler. Bet we will be reading about this in reviews. …wsj.com/article/…todays_us_personal_journal

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: article on fake hotel reviews

Maybe budget travels sales are down so they decided to tear into tripadvisor and all of its loyal posters!!!

5. Re: article on fake hotel reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 am, December 18, 2009