We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dec. in Siesta Keys

Which Siesta Key hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
slc,utah
2 posts
Save Topic
Dec. in Siesta Keys

Hi, wow what a wealth of information here! We only have a about 10 for Florida. We fly in on the 7th and fly out very late on the 17th--- Now the dilemma, Fly in around 2 p.m. where ? Cruise the 9th at 5 p.m. and hit land again on the 16th at 7 a.m. Going home very late on the 17th.

We want to see Kissemee (Epcot) maybe an orange grove somewhere, and we MUST see Siesta Key. How's that for a dilemma, and how are the beaches in Dec. and the weather in Dec.? We are heading for Eastern Caribeean. Any and all help would be truly appreciated.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,544 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dec. in Siesta Keys

From what city does your cruise leave?

It is a 2 1/4 hour drive from Disney to Sarasota. The weather can be chilly in December. You could rent a motel/cottage on Siesta.

Crescent Beach (on Siesta) is considered the niecest, but there aren't any bad beaches in the area.

The area where Disney etc. is built was once all orange groves. Most have given way to development.

Many of the remaining groves are now further south.. There are some still here in the Sarasota area.

Your schedule/plan sounds hectic.

~SRQgirl

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dec. in Siesta Keys

Whether the cruise leaves from Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, or Tampa I don't see how you can do Epcot, and Siesta Key in the days you have left, unless you have some kind of Star Trek human transporter. LOL.

Epcot requires two full days and you still wouldn't see all there is to see.

slc,utah
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dec. in Siesta Keys

Nope no time machine, just wishin'. Now back to one of my ending questions. How is the weather first to mid Dec. and has anyone been down south to St. Thomaas this time of year?

Our schedule does look hectic. We take off from Ft. Lauderdale and come back to the same port. The bad thing is, we only have a couple of days before and a couple of days after the cruise to see other stuff. It really chops things up. Our prize airline tickets won't let us fly home past the 17th of Dec.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dec. in Siesta Keys

Weather in December could be cool, but sunny enough in the daytime to be in shorts. In the water though, it is another story - too cold for any locals to be in it. By St. Thomas, if you mean the Virgin Islands, since it is part of the Caribbean, it should be warm enough to go in the water at any time of the year.

illinois
Level Contributor
392 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dec. in Siesta Keys

Hey utah -

I say fly into Orlando and out of Tampa if possible. Here is what I would do if I were you (I don't know if I would do it if I were me however ) :)

Arrive Orlando on Dec 7. early am. Rent a car that you can RETURN at the cruise port (yes you can do this). Hit Epcot and one other Disney park on the 7th. Get hotel for one night in Orlando. On the 8th start driving to Ft. Lauderdale. Get a hotel on the beach for the 8th so you can relax before your cruise and spend some time at the beach.

Dec 9th - depart on cruise. Dec 16th - arrive back from cruise - here is the tough part. Yes your ship comes in at 7 am, but unless you tell them you have a 10 am flight to catch you probably won't get off the boat until 9 am or possibly later. See what you can do about that!

Reserve a rental car and drive to Siesta Key - 3 hours according to mapquest - but I think it may be a bit longer. You will drive through the everglades and alligator alley but I am not sure about the oranges here. Better chance of oranges near Orlando.

Arrive in Siesta Key. Get a room for one night. Depart out of Tampa or better yet Sarasota the next day.

GOOD LUCK!!!\

\

C

6. Re: Dec. in Siesta Keys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 07, 2009