We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sarasota nightlife

Brookly, NY
6 posts
Save Topic
Sarasota nightlife

I'm going to be in Sarasota next week with 4 guys for a long golfing weekend and would appreciate any information on restaurants and nightlife. We are staying downtown but willing to travel.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sarasota nightlife

You've got plenty to keep you busy downtown.

The Gator Club on the corner of Lemon and Main is a good start.

You can wander around from there, up and down Main, and find bars/restaurants.

I also like Freds on Osprey Ave. near Hillview. This is an area called Southside Village.

How old are you and the guys? Makes a difference on the answer....

~SRQgirl

Brookly, NY
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sarasota nightlife

The guys are late 40's and early 50's. thanks for the help

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sarasota nightlife

The Gator Club is a mixed crowd of all ages. They gave a 2nd floor with an upscale room with sofas and pool tables and another bar.

Start there for sure.

There are many places to eat downtown with a varietry of tastes and prices.

The Selva Grill

the Bijou Cafe

Pino's 100 Central

Mattisons (outside dining, casual)

The Rustic Grill

Zoria

5 one 6 Burns

Barnacle Bills and more..

Freds (in Southside Village for food and bar)

and more on Longboat Key, St. Armands Circle and south on the Tamiami Trail.....

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Brookly, NY
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sarasota nightlife

Thank you for the information. Is there anything going on on Siesta Key?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sarasota nightlife

Siesta Key has the nicest beaches in the area.(Crescent Beach)

There is the Siesta Village that has restaurants and shops etc.

For dinner:

Gabbianos

Blase Cafe

and the Beach Club for cocktails.

At night, Siesta has a mostly younger crowd.(20s-30s)

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Blase Cafe
Blase Cafe
294 Reviews
Siesta Key, FL
sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sarasota nightlife

JHMJR,

Here is a website for nightlife. It's a little outdated but most of these places are still open:

www.sarasotafl.org/cms/d/after_hours.php

~SRQgirl

Florida
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sarasota nightlife

I have lived in Sarasota for less than two years but have enjoyed learning all the fun places to go. When I first got here, everyone told me there weren't any dance clubs here and very little nightlife. As I explore, however, I learn how completely untrue that is. It actually annoys me that I spend the first year hanging out at home a lot!

Bella Roma on Siesta Key is the best Italian food I have ever had in the US. Make reservations. Seriously. Homemade breads, pastas, tiramusi and cannolis. Order the specials and don't ask about the cost. My husband and I are picky about restaurant food, especially with our Italian food.

The Siesta Key Oyster Bar (SKOB) has the biggest fried fish sandwich I have ever seen in my life...and it was really good. I say that because I am more about quality than quantity, so it was big AND VERY tasty. Their pressed Cuban Sandwich, however, is a must try...and I'm not even a huge Cuban Sandwich fan! It gets loud at night when the live entertainment starts. I love it...sort of "Key West-sh" but my husband hates the noise.

The Daquiri Deck is next door to the SKOB. I have hung out there but not eaten there. Every time my friends have eaten there though, they have not liked the food. I always feel old there during "bar times" and I'm only 32.

Gilligan's is across the street from the Daquiri Deck. It's another restaurant/bar that I have not yet ventured to yet, but popular. They have food but if you want seafood in that area, go to the SKOB.

Also in Siesta Key is a place called The Beach Club. They have live music and dancing on weekends. Men From Mars is a band that plays there every Saturday night...80's music. (I think they play on Friday nights at the Gator Club downtown, one of the places SRQ Gril mentioned). They start at 10:00. There is a mix of ages there. Get there early if you want a seat and don't sit at the middle bar...they will take your chairs when they open the dance floor at 10:00. We learned that the hard way! There is a patio outside in the back that I didn't notice until the last time I was there that is quieter for the guys to hang out in while you dance! There is no food there but the SKOB is close if you get the munchies!

If you want Japanese food, Jo-To across from The Beach Club and next door to the SKOB is great...husband and myself approved (again, we are really picky eaters and only recommend a couple of restaurants).

There is also a tiki bar/restaurant with picnic tables (but for the restaurant) on the bay near downdown. I haven't been there yet but it looks like fun! They have entertainment at night, I've heard.

If your friends like beer, the only brewery in town is in the Gulf Gate area (near the south bridge to Siesta Key but on the inland side). My husband loves their beer and I love their fish and chips (but get their onion strings instead of fries). If you like Long John Silver's fried fish, then order that. Their shark bites on the appetizer menu are also to die for. They advertise their "Chicago style pizza" as their specialty but we think it's the worst thing on the menu! It is called the Sarasota Brewing Company.

I just noticed the date on your post but maybe this information can help someone else.

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sarasota nightlife

It definitely did help ca vol! Thanks! What is that tiki bar place that you are speaking of?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sarasota nightlife

O'Learys.

It is in the same area as Marina Jack in downtown bayfront Sarasota.

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
10. Re: Sarasota nightlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 31, 2009