We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lido beach or siesta key?

baltimore
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
lido beach or siesta key?

which do you recommend? what are the differences?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: lido beach or siesta key?

Depends on WHEN you go. Siesta Key has the best beach, has good restaurants, lots of great condo choices, not alot of great hotels. It has an extremely busy spring break season (mid March to mid April) and restaurants get very crowded, and the main thoroughfare is bumper to bumper at dinner time. You also have to go off-island (just over the bridge into Sarasota) to do any shopping, including groceries. But the beach is wide and gorgeous, but can be crowded if you are in season. Lido Key is very small, but lovely, but does not have alot of resorts to choose from. Those that are there look very nice. The beach is very nice too, and Lido's main selling point is that it is walking distance to St. Armands Circle, a wonderful shopping/restaurant area that is a big attraction -- also big crowds at spring break time. There are grocery stores and restaurants on neighboring Longboat Key (a small bridge hop) so you don't have to venture into Sarasota if you don't want to. Check out Longboat too, more residential, less crowded, it's OUR favorite.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lido beach or siesta key?

These are 2 very different areas.

Siesta Key is more family oriented. The lodging is small cottage type motels and condo rentals. Some of the motels are very nice with beach access. There is Siesta Village which contains shops/bars and restaurants. It is a very laid back, non-pretentious place to stay. I could recommend condos or motels if you decide on Siesta Key. There are lots of water related activities. There aren't any full service resorts.

Lido Beach has full service resorts. The Lido Beach Resort is the one I recommend, which is on the beach . There is also the Holiday Inn- Lido Beach across the street from Lido Beach.

It is closer to St. Armands Circle.

There are reviews for both of these properties on the Sarasota forum.

What are you looking for? What are your interests?

~SRQgirl

baltimore
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lido beach or siesta key?

We will most likely be staying in a condo at one of the locations. We are looking for a beautiful beach, nice restaurants (we go out every night and enjoy sitting outside, hate chain restaurants) and shopping. I will have 2 teenage girls with me, who would like some freedom and safety to walk around, to go shopping, walk down a beach, go kayaking, etc. I prefer a condo on the beach so that you can get back and forth to the room when necessary. We would like to throw in a trip to an outlet mall if possible. We'll probaby fly into Tampa.

We will need to drive into Orlando 1 day to see a college lacrosse game, so I'm looking for the best location with the easiest drive to Orlando. I've checked out Lido Key, Seista Key, Anna Maria Island and Longboat Key. We will be there the 2nd week in March.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lido beach or siesta key?

I would guess you would be happiest on Lido Key. You would be close to St. Armands Circle with great shops and many restaurants with outside seating. St. Armands is upscale. (Teenage girls will enjoy tihs)

Kayaking is done on Siesta Key, primarily.

It will take you 2 hours to get to Orlando from Sarasota.

(I-75 to I-4).

There is a large outlet mall about 20 minutes north on I-75.

It is in a town called Ellenton.

I would also recommend that you make your reservations ASAP.

Most places are already full due to Spring Break vacations.

~SRQgirl

baltimore
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: lido beach or siesta key?

thanks. I am making res. within a day or two. I have to options on hold, which maybe you could comment on. Suntide beach resort on Lido or Crystal Sands on Siesta Key?

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lido beach or siesta key?

As I have said, theses are 2 very different places to stay.

They are both nice, but I think given the shopping and outside dining you want, go with the Suntide. You can walk to St. Armands.

~SRQgirl

7. Re: lido beach or siesta key?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Siesta Key
Recent Conversations