We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

Hi there!

My husband and I are coming to Sarasota the end of April for a long weekend. We've been to Sarasota twice before, and love it there.

In the past we've stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and went to the public beach access in Siesta Key.

This time I want to stay in walking distance to the beach. I got similar offers from the Tropical Shores Resort and the Holiday Inn-Lido Beach. They both have good reviews here on TA. Does anyone have any recommendations of one over the other?

I don't think we've ever gone to Lido beach when we came in the past...so I don't know what the beach is like. Is it soft like Siesta Key or more like a regular Florida Beach?

We like that Tropical Shores is basically right on the beach in Siesta Key, but I also like that the Holiday Inn is walking distance to St. Armand's Circle. I'm conflicted.

We're a late 20's couple don't really party, we prefer to drink tropical drinks and relax.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

These are 2 very different places to stay.

Holiday Inn Lido is a high rise across the street from Lido Beach.

It is a full service hotel, meaning you can get a meal there. You are walking distance to St. Armands with all it's hops and restaurants.

Lido Beach is nice.

Tropical Shores Resort had more of a cottage/motel small Old Florida feel to it. (Laid back) The units have kitchens and the furnishings are very nice. The grounds are surrounded by tropical foliage and there are BBQ grills located nder Tiki huts. You are across the street from some restaurants/bars and small shops.

Crescent Beach is the best beach in the area, in my opinion.

If I were in my 20s, I might choose Lido due to the poximity to St. Armands. Your call.......

~SRQgirl

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

Thank you so much for your response! You (and the other locals) have been a wealth of knowledge.

I still haven't decided. I have a tendency to overanalyze and overresearch trips. This one especially because it's a 30th Bday surprise trip for my husband, so I'm making all the decisions and want it to be perfect.

I've found a few more good hotel deals so I'm back to square one. I still haven't decided on Lido Beach vs. Siesta Key. I absolutely love the beach on Siesta Key...but I have to remember we can always drive there from Lido Beach...and vice versa, we can drive to St. Armand's Circle. Is there good parking around St. Armand's Circle?

But thank you for your help, it's great! I'm not sure if a high rise versus a motel type matters to us...as long as they have a pool. We've stayed in both types and been happy in both types. We really are easy to please.

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

You can usually find a place to park on St Armands, if not directly on the street then easily in one of the parking lots behind the shops/restaurants -- probably a max of 1 block away.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

Parking can be a problem on St. Armands Circle.

The sand on Lido Beach is just fine. The beaches in the area are not like the East Coast of FL.

If your guy likes to walk around at night and eat at sidewalk cafes etc. Lido is for you.

Tropical Shores is a great place for kids. I always recommend it for families.

Now, there is also the Lido Beach Resort......... ;-)

~SRQgirl

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

SRQgirl, you have great advice almost all the time but I'd have to disagree strongly re your comment about parking on St. Armands. Driving there today at noon I could have parked right on the street in front of 4 or 5 different stores, and we're already "in season" in terms of visitors. I'll take parking there to parking on Siesta Key anytime! And by the end of April? Heck, last April, when I was driving past St. Armand's the few cars on the road stopped to let a white egret wander slowly across the street.

For LSNJ, the two places -- Siesta and Lido -- are quite different, and I betcha you'd love either one. My own preference (as you may have guessed) is Lido instead of Siesta. Watch the sunset over the Gulf from your balcony at the Holiday Inn on Lido, then wander down to Tommy Bahamas for a pina colada to celebrate another night in paradise; then eat some great Cuban food at a sidewalk table outside Columbia; finish it off with some fudge or ice cream from a nearby shop; and make your plans for another great tomorrow!

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

Thanks so much for all your help! I guess I have to remember Sarasota is not a big city.

I think I may go for Lido beach and then we'll go over to Siesta Key. Lido Beach Resort looks amazing. I think it's a bit more than I want to spend though...although I'll keep looking.

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

We have visited Sarasota many times and our favorite location is Lido Key. The beach is great and not over crowded, the location is peaceful and St. Armand Circle is nearby.

I think St. Armands circle is unique as most other places in Florida we have visited are streets with blocks where you need to drive, but the circle almost gives you a feel you are in a different place to Florida where you can have a stroll and visit the shops and restaurants.

We like the area so much we are visiting again over Easter. We always make the time to spend a few days in Lido Key, no matter wher we are visiting in Florida.

Philadelphia, Pa
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

Where do you stay in Lido Key jamkart? Thanks for the recommendation!

Can you bring and hide a case of Cadbury Twirl somewhere in Lido Key and leave a treasure map? I'll be your friend forever. ;-)

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

We previously stayed at Coquina on the Beach & Suntide Beach Resort botyh on Lido Key, but these were not available for our required dates at Easter. We are therefore trying Lido Beach Resort this time.

By coincidence, I have just been enjoying some Cadbury's chocolates. I don't think they would last too well buried in the hot Florida sand!!!!

baltimore
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Shores Resort or Holiday Inn- Lido Beach

how was the sundtide beach resort?

Get answers to your questions about Sarasota