We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airtran nonstop flight

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Airtran nonstop flight

Does anyone know Airtran well enough, that can help me. Airtran is the only airline from Chicago that flies to SRQ non-stop. I fly them twice a year to visit my parents. Right now the price is $620. Last year we flew for under $300. This year my brother is getting married late Dec, on Longboat and I am wondering if I should hold off and for how long, before the fares, hopefully drop....

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
11,054 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airtran nonstop flight

Given the price of fuel these days, it would be impossible to predict.

I would look at flying on Southwest into Tampa. The fares are great and there are always deals.

(This is how I fly to Chicago)

~SRQgirl

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airtran nonstop flight

I hate that Southwest flight, never, not once, has it landed on time, and then my parents have to pick me up at 12:00am. I don't want to rent a car as they have two cars, and no where to park. By the time I get transportation, limo, shuttle whatever, times two for my husband and I, it's another $150, so I'd rather fly into SRQ, I was just hoping someone had some inside knowledge, like, wait until Sept, or get up at 4am and try. I guess I'll just check the site everytime I think about it.

If only Southwest would have bought the ATA gates at Sarasota like they did in Chicago..hurumph

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airtran nonstop flight

Do you have to have a non-stop flight??

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airtran nonstop flight

nicinchic-- I can't believe the $620 price! I'm flying rt from SRQ to Chicago in mid-August for $187. AirTran seems to have ongoing sales. When one is about to end, another one starts up. If they are quoting that number to your for December, I'd almost be tempted to wait until they start to put December into their discount schedule. But if you're talking end of Christmas, you're probably running into peak time for the airlines, so it's definitely a gamble.

Incidentally, their best prices are on Tuesday or Wednesday, as you probably already know.

Another option is to try Southwest out of Midway to Tampa, or possibly to Ft. Myers.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airtran nonstop flight

cb, see my previous on the tampa thing. If we don't fly non-stop the trip ends up taking about 6 hours, and the prices on Delta or USAirways aren't great, I''d say if the price was great I might consider it, but they are still over $400. It appears that by checking Airtran everyday, I am seeing the prices go down a bit, but it's the flight down on the 22 or 23 nonstop that is still $309 a leg, so I am going to try and be patient, and wait it out. Last year when we flew down the same day, the place was only half full, so I have no idea, why Airtran doesn't discount the flights around x-mas, they also have them blacked out for those dates, which, once again, without passangers you wonder why? I was considering getting an airtran credit card, but I looked at the dates for the free ticket and they were blacked out for every single holiday including Labor Day and the Fourth of July, which are the only other times we use Airtran...

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airtran nonstop flight

nic, sounds like you're stuck between paying the big bucks for a nonstop or saving cash and "enjoying" a bunch of extra hours on several planes (plus the joy of changing flights in Atlanta).

Another alternative: there is a nonstop on 12/20 that's priced at $99 one-way (MDW to SRQ), and a return to Chicago on 12/24 and on 12/26, both nonstops at the same $99 fare. You've probably already seen that and it probably won't match your schedule, but thought I'd mention it just in case. Maybe you could pick up at least one of those flights and ease the financial pain somewhat.

It's hard to tell what AirTran will do in terms of fares this Christmas. It's doubtful those $300 oneway fares will rise, but the $99 nonstops will probably disappear at some point. If you can, maybe at least book the 12/20 flight down at $99 now ... and spend a few extra days sipping a pina colada on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
7. Re: Airtran nonstop flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 13, 2009