We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe areas in Sarasota

Galena, IL
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safe areas in Sarasota

I will be visiting Sarasota this winter for a month or so. I am interested in seeing most areas of the town, so proximity to beaches or downtown is not important. I like to walk around and explore, but I will be traveling alone as a young woman. Which areas should I avoid walking around alone? Which areas could I walk around alone at night (relatively) safely? How about prices, and likelihood of monthly rentals? I am looking to spend around $700/month. Any advice you could give would be very much appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!!

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe areas in Sarasota

You can look for rentals on these websites:

www.vrbo.com

www.vacationrentals.com

www.homeaway.com

Most areas of Sarasota are safe. When you say "walk around at night" what time of night? Many areas on the North Tamiami Trail would not be advisable.

if you are staying in a residential area, there wouldn't be much to see unless you just are walking for exercise.

Downtown Sarasota, Siesta Key, St. Armands Circle have nice dining/shopping.

www.sarasotafl.org

You have many choices as far as places to stay, but if you are coming during high season (winter months)

$700/month won't go very far.

You would have to look at places like the Meadows or subdivisions around I-75...are you looking for a condo?

You might consider working with a rental management company to narrow your search.

~SRQgirl

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe areas in Sarasota

for $700 a month, you won't be staying in Sarasota, especially in the winter time. I don't know anywhere in the state where $700 would get you decent accommodation in the wintertime -- *maybe* a week, but not a month.

(a one-bedroom apartment with a yearly lease goes for significantly more than that....no way will you find a vacation rental for that)

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,775 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe areas in Sarasota

$700/mo? LOL

That wouldn't even get you a 2BR in the ghetto in Orlando with a 12 month lease, much less Sarasota.

I would think you would need to at least triple that, if not more.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,347 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe areas in Sarasota

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

As others have noted....the budget is the issue. It is significantly low....even quadrupled, you would be hard pressed to find something.

Galena, IL
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe areas in Sarasota

I have been able to find a few apartments for around that price on craigslist and realtor.com. So you are saying those prices will increase siginificantly in the next month or two...ok, then, what about Bradenton? I've learned it's less pricey. Any advice on areas near Sarasota that I may be able to afford? Condos are ok, too. I'm open to any suggestions!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe areas in Sarasota

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is -- rents simply aren't that low, even for a crappy apartment on the wrong side of town with a 12-month lease.

You are not going to find a month's accommodation for $700 anywhere in the state in the winter.

sarasota, FL
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Venice, Siesta Key
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe areas in Sarasota

I would not use Craigslist to find places to stay. Are you kidding me???? You are by yourself, worried about crime and you would consider a place sight unseen without knowing the area? You should watch the news more often...

You have no idea who you would be dealing with.

I think you have to rethink this trip as far as cost. Bradenton has areas that are not safe and in the winter/spring rates at their highest.

Shorten your stay so you can afford better lodging choices...

~SRQgirl

8. Re: Safe areas in Sarasota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 13, 2014